Unlimited roaming in 100 countries coming from T*Mobile

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Wandering Aramean, Oct 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    With data options like this I might finally trade in my BB for a new model. This could be a significant disruption in the market, though it remains to be seen which countries are included and what levels coverage/performance are capped at. Even the 20 cents/minute voice bit is amazing.

Of course, it would mean craptacular service in NYC, but I'm not here all that often anyways, right?? :eek:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/9/4...imited-global-data-roaming-at-no-extra-charge

2. delff128

delff128 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm currently with Verizon, but I must say this certainly just garnered my attention.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly; but even then a few days across the border in Canada/Mexico or even if you were in europe and needed some sort of data on the go (yelp/maps/etc) it could be a life/wallet saver

Laptop Nomad, jbcarioca and Tenmoc like this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    EDGE/2G speeds, but for "free" that's not too shabby. The part where coverage in the USA is cruddy might be my reason to skip it.

5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    As impressive as this sounds and may well turn out to be, I am not tempted to drop Verizon for T-Mobile, which I'd dropped 8-9 years ago because it seemed that the area where I live in NYC is a T-Mobile "dead zone", i.e. low signal and too many dropped calls. On the other hand, this would be a great development if it forces the other carriers to follow suit. There is, however, one obvious question: if the customers get for free what used to cost a bundle, who picks up the tab? The only thing close to an answer that I could find is in this NYT piece on the subject:
    A pipe dream?

6. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is an interesting option. Maybe other carriers will follow suit like the verge article mentioned on other areas tmobile has led.

I do agree my tmobile service is horrible in USA. Dropped calls galore.

7. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the article, it looks like customers will be paying $10/month to add the Simple Choice to any existing phone plan. My guess is this is a monthly add on that can be started and stopped for any given month like many phone plans allow for other similar options when going international. The good part is that you're not paying $10 to get just discounted calling / data / text fees but should be paying $10 all in when you travel.

If this is the case, this should be very popular with travelers and would also prevent people from just dropping their plans when going abroad for longer periods of time. Also, it would mean a decreased demand for foreign sim cards and would make it convenient when traveling across multiple countries. I definitely would appreciate it when doing a Hong Kong, China, Macao, Japan, Taiwan combo trip.

8. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still waiting for details but I'm already long down the road of looking to drop VZ anyway for Tmo.

Laptop Nomad and jbcarioca like this.
  9. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think T Mobile has already done away with contracts, so presumably you can start or stop this as needed. In fact, the same would be true of the base plan as well. So you should be able to have a T Mobile phone (in addition to other service) and only pay for the service in the months you're traveling, if that suits your style of travel.

The data and text are free, but the voice calls are discounted, not included, when overseas.

10. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    It isnt' a full replacement for a local sim if you have time/knowledge. But for those moments when you need just a bit, it is a great thing to have.

TMo has no contracts any more. Just hardware fees (if you don't buy outright).

I'm waiting for the Nexus 5 to be released to make my decision.

Laptop Nomad likes this.
  11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been with T-Mobile for years for my US service because their prepaid service, including both voice, SMS and data lasts longer and is cheaper for non-resident users like me. This, based on a quick calculation, might be superb for me in that I could just eliminate almost all my travelling sim's, now up to ten of them. If this really works the way it seems to it might actually be cheaper than my domestic Brazil rates (they're the most expensive in the world, according to a press report the other day).

On the other side, within the US coverage is not stellar. NYC has improved a lot recently but it still is not as good as what I have observed with friends Verizon and AT&T. It's fine for me as an occasional visitor but I don't know how I'd feel if I lived in NYC.

12. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    From my t-mobile friends/homers, they don't see that big of a drop off in the signal reception. They have made big improvements. If they can really get LTE/4G, then it will be an even bigger player. Especially since all their phones come unlocked as well. Again, it really depends on the area that you reside/work/congregate. With that said, every service has issues. We were in a restaurant in Chinatown on Sunday, (Wing Wong has been rebranded) and there were 3 services at the table. VZ, ATT and Tmobile. Only the Tmobile person had service.

Laptop Nomad and Tenmoc like this.
  13. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here is their coverage area: http://www.t-mobile.com/
    They also give the root metrics data which is impressive if true. Maybe all that improvement has been happening since i last used them in New York, about a year ago.
    I think I'll give it a go.

Thanks very much Wandering Aramean!:)
    I will not throw away all my extra sims just yet, but I will begin to test the service.

14. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    They have really pushed the last year to improve. Often in NYC and the area their HSPA+ speeds are better than the saturated VZW LTE

JosephMay and jbcarioca like this.
  15. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I

Having an unlocked GSM phone, This makes me think "Get T-Mobile for my trips turn account off when I get back"

16. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    as long as you have gVoice so one number hits all your SIM :)

jbcarioca and Tenmoc like this.
  17. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use Vonage to handle the forwarding rather than GVoice which does simplify the incoming calls by having a multiple of local numbers around the world that all feed into the same number, then I've only a single number to forward to my mobile number. For the last couple of years taht's worked impeccably. When I last tried it with GVoice it did not work well, but I'm sure it's much advanced now.

Laptop Nomad, edekba and Tenmoc like this.
  18. JosephMay

JosephMay Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have T-Mobile in the US. Coverage has been fine some drops occasionally but not terrible. I can't think of an area where I've been stuck without cell service. A key feature of T-Mobile is the ability to make T-Mobile Calls over WIFI anywhere. It is built in --don't have to use Skype etc. So even in areas without any phone service on any carrier you may still be able to make and receive calls.
    As for overseas, I am anxious to see how coverage is on upcoming trips to AMS and South Africa. Will report back.

Laptop Nomad, Tenmoc and jbcarioca like this.
  19. JosephMay

JosephMay Gold Member

Status Points:
    In NYC they are very fast. In some settings like stadiums particularly Yankee Stadium I have data service during games while Verizon does not.

Tenmoc and jbcarioca like this.
  20. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's really good news. I recall having had the odd outage around Abingdon Square in the West Village where i spend a fair amount of time when I'm in NYC. It will be nice to have that area be faster and more stable.

21. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    This intrigues me, however as a long time TMO customer, I can't wait to switch when my current contract is up. The coverage is pretty good in most cities, but absolutely terrible in rural and mountain areas. I've had enough.

jbcarioca and Tenmoc like this.
  22. JosephMay

JosephMay Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that is a fair evaluation.

Tenmoc, thrashsoundly and jbcarioca like this.
  23. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. When I have to make wifi calls from both home and work in a metro area of over 100K residents, it's time to jump ship. Other than that T-Mobile has been great. Their plans are cheaper than the competition and their customer service is usually pretty good.

Tenmoc likes this.
  24. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. I do a lot of trips where it is 3-5 countries in a week. For a day or two at a time I like not needing to worry about picking up a local SIM and such. This sort of plan will be quite useful in such cases.
    I believe that is only if you want the outbound calling option from within the USA, not if you want the "free" global roaming.

25. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have had T-mobile for years. I would not want a local client to call me long distance if he/she knew I was in her country. I usually have a driver, and would not want him to call me internationally If I got his voicemail to come pick me up from dinner or hotel. For me it is easier with a local sim. I have a couple of local numbers on my business card. I do carry a altoids tin full of sim cards.

Tenmoc and jbcarioca like this.