Unlimited Mobile Phone Plans (Poll)

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by sobore, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

?

Which Provider would you personally reccomend?

1. AT&T Go Phone

7.1%
  2. Boost Mobile

14.3%
  3. Cricket

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. MetroPCS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Net10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. T-Mobile

28.6%
  7. Straight Talk

14.3%
  8. Verizon

35.7%
  9. Virgin Mobile

7.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking for a no contract unlimited plan. This is for service in the US.
    If there is a better choice not listed in the poll, do inform!

2. From my experience: If you are a foreigner (i.e. no SSN or American credit card), stay away from T-Mobile US! As much as I like them in Germany, as much was it a problem to get more money into my account. I always had to buy cards in stores as I was never able to charge it my credit card.

3. wanderlust
    Original Member

wanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it depends on your usage. If you use a lot of data and send a lot of texts, but don't use too many voice minutes, I think Virgin Mobile is a great deal at $25 a month for unlimited everything but voice minutes. But if you need the unlimited minutes, go with Verizon or T-mobile.

4. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    T-mobile has a new pricing option that may be of interest. I believe you have to visit a physical store to get the actual pricing details though. Essentially you choose a plan that has no annual contract (also has a lower cost than a normal contract based plan) but you have to pay full price for any phone you choose. If you already have a compatible phone then this is a great option. The secondary benefit of this plan is that you don't need to buy pre-paid cards, you can set up direct bill pay as you would with a typical plan.

5. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    T-Mobile is a horrible option due to their lack of customer service and extremely poor coverage. If you even wander off a main road then you are likely to lose service

6. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear you have had such bad experiences with t-mobile. I travel quite extensively for work and go to some pretty off the path locations and I have never once had a service problem. I have Samsung vibrant and the data and voice is always very good. Obviously their are some areas that are lower but they are limited and in line with any other carrier. Of course everyone's experience may vary.

7. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    T-mobile's "poor" coverage is a bit of an overstatement. I've been driving around with both Verizon and T-mobile phones for 5 years and while the phone signal disappears on T-mobile a little sooner, the ability to make calls disappears on both at the same time. Verizon's "signal" can be good enough to make you think you are connected, but in reality you are not.

That said, I am using T-mobile's $50 all you can eat minutes/texts + 100mb data.

8. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always heard Verizon had much better coverage then t-mobile. Thanks for the info!

9. bbbb
    Original Member

bbbb Silver Member

Status Points:
    Verizon and T-mobile work on two different systems. Verizon is Cdma and T-mobile works on GSM.

Straight Talk is owned by Trac Phone but runs on the Verizon network of towers or T-mobile/Att depending on the phone you order. If you want to be on the Verizon network order a ST phone that has a model # ending in the letter C. I set my wife up on ST and if you do your home work in advance you will avoid all the problems many people have. This service works just as good as the Verizon service I canceled to get it, for half the cost. The best place to get info if you go with ST is on their Facebook discussion section.

I use Boost and it runs on the Sprint Network. I went with Boost because after every 6 payments made on time they lower your bill $5 until your paying $35 per month. The service can be good or just ok depending on the city your in. My kid uses the $25 per month plan on Virgin Mobile and it also uses Sprint towers and gets about the same service as Boost.

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I seem to recall that i had the same problem with Vodafone in Germany :) (not sure if they now take CC payments on their website)

On topic, though, I guess the question is: what features are important to people? I personally would probably choose a GSM provider so I could use one of my existing unlocked GSM devices.

11. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:

Some areas they do, but my unfortunate experience is that not nearly as good as it might seem to be. Make sure to look into your area/areas closely

12. inukshuk
    Original Member

inukshuk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used to really like Verizon for US and international travel, but that looks to be passing with the changes in their international plans.

13. Where's US Cellular in the list? They cover Midwest/East Coast... and were recently rated the best cell provider in the US. In my area (southern WV), they are the best provider in terms of coverage.

14. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    A co-worker just recommended them and she lives in my area, I'll have to look further into them. Thanks.

15. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    My experience has been that Verizon has the best coverage. Better that AT & T and the old Sprint. I travel all over North America (including Mexico and Canada) and rarely have a dropped call. Rural VA seems to be a fairly consistent area with weak coverage.

sobore likes this.
  16. bsaced
    Original Member

bsaced Silver Member

Status Points:
    T-mobile's customer service and price points has set itself so far ahead of the competition in my opinion. and As long as you stay out of the sticks you don't have coverage problems.

bakedpatato and sobore like this.
  17. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Indiana Delta Diamond Silver Member

Status Points:
    Verizon wins on coverage in the United States, far and away.

sobore likes this.
  18. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone have a no contract, unlimited, Verizon plan? Any details?

19. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've always gone with a (2yr) contract to get the phone free or discounted. I think the price on the unlimited plans remains the same wether you are under contract or not.

20. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    How can you not have Sprint on the list? Unlimited is by far less expensive than the other majors.

EDIT: Oh, no-contract. You didn't list that in the title, or the title of your poll. Never mind. :D :D :D

21. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    PagePlus seems to be on the Verizon network. Any experience with them?

22. bbbb
    Original Member

bbbb Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have read good things about them and you can use Verizon phones with them.

sobore likes this.
  23. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just pick up and old Version phone and had it add to the Page Plus network. On the AT&T network I could not use my phone in my basement, on PP I am getting three bars!

24. Jumping Jehosaphat
    Original Member

Jumping Jehosaphat Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would recommend Verizon, as it seems to have good pricing, good service, and an excellent selection of phones.

I have T-Mobile, and they are ok, and let me roam with no penalities. I have unlimited everything, and I think it is $69.99 a month (plus an additional $20 charge every month for my new phone because I am cheap and didn't buy it outright).

G_G likes this.