Unlimited miles at $0.02/mile?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by petrapenang, May 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. petrapenang

petrapenang Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it possible to keep buying miles at $0.02/mile?

Recently I booked award tickets with my miles and was offered $0.02/mile (20+k per ticket). I bought them cuz it was cheap to me and I need some to top off for another ticket. Due to the system error and unable to price my infant, the tickets were eventually cancelled and I kept the miles. I re-booked the tickets via agent and was again offered $0.02/mile (again 20+k per ticket), I bought some again. The agent wasn't able to price the infant ticket again due to their system error and I told them to cancel the tickets, kept my miles. Finally, I booked all tickets with award miles (putting my infant on business class seat since he's almost 2!!!), and again I'm offered $0.02/mile.

Given that I can book award tickets and buy the miles at $0.02/mile, then cancel the ticket within 24 hours w/o penalties, I'm guessing that I can continuously buy miles at that price and technically speaking, it's $1200++ to fly C or $1400++ to fly F one way to ASIA!!! Roundtrip, $2400+ in C and $2800+ in F versus $6-10+k.

2. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if it's limited to 100k a year like outright purchase at 3.5 cents.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm being offered RDMs on my flights from $0.023 to $0.03/mile. For me, they are a good value under $0.03/mile, but it depends on how you will use them. I would buy all I could for $0.02/mile, as I can get SJO-BOG RT for 20,000 miles vs $950+ as a purchase. That's a no-brainer, but YMMV.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had the math work out to 1.8cpm on some offers....Can never get enough! Last in year when I checked in for a return flight from HKG, the math came to 1.2 CPM....it was quoted in Hong Kong Dollars so I think I took advantage of a glitch.... :p

5. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Back when Magazines.com was 40x with Chase, didn't you have something similar? 40 points/$ plus 7% bonus 42.8 points/$. With a 1:1 transfer ratio to United, that was pretty much there.

For mileage tickets, you should also consider US Airways miles - as they are generally cheap to buy. Look back at the Grand Slam and the recent SPG transfer bonus. The award chart differences including 90k return miles to a very broad North Asia is a steal, or p.s. F for 50k round trip.

I do love to flexibility of UA miles and the search engine, but having a good amount miles in a lot of different programs does help maximize each trip.

6. petrapenang

petrapenang Silver Member

Status Points:
    US Airways miles are good too but I like the flexibility of UA miles better when booking one way trips (esp when needed to research to/fro separately. US Airways require round trip award miles even for one way so that kinda sux for me. However, recently I did capitalize on the 90% additional miles offer since I knew I would be using them for F travel end of this year.