United's revenue-based mileage scheme on partner tickets

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by riceoven, Mar 18, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. riceoven

riceoven Silver Member

Status Points:
    MX likes this.
  2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, that's exactly what it means. If your ticket is plated on 016 stock, you'll earn PQDs and RDMs based on spend and PQMs based on distance. If your ticket is on ANA (or any other airline) ticket stock, you'll earn no PQDs, PQMs based on distance, and RDMs based on distance in accordance with the percentages listed for the fare class purchased.

MX, Newscience and NYCUA1K like this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The last bit is very important because one might wind up with no RDMs at all if one purchases a ticket in the "wrong" fare class...

MX and Newscience like this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    These rules allow for some strategizing regarding whether to take codeshare flights and which ticket stock to use, although the latter might require use of a real live human travel agent.

MX, Newscience and Dublin_rfk like this.
  5. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    And, if you have your PQD requirement waived due to Chase credit card spend or having a foreign address, it might well be worth avoiding 016 ticket stock if you've carefully checked the fare classes.
    The one caveat might be for bookings well in the future---I believe United has made clear that the rules in effect at time of flying will count, rather than those at time of booking. So, you could book a partner ticket in a fare class that's eligible today for a flight in November, and they could pull the rug out from under you between now and then.

ContinentalFan, Newscience and MX like this.
  6. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a similar question. I collect on United but try to avoid them at any cost after I reach my 4 segments a year. How do the March 1st, 2015 UA MP changes affect what I earn on OZ,SQ,TG? How do they affect flying LH, LX, AC (airlines that used to give 50% bonus miles to UA Premier Gold.

I have not flown since March 1st and screen-shoots or postings would really help me understand the implications. I know I can look at the UA site (earning miles, then click on the partner) But I would like to have a glimpse into UA MP account (keeping your privacy safe and secure) of people that collect on UA MP but have flown other Star A. partners since March 1st. Thanks

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You will still earn the Premier bonus RDMs for flights on ATI/JV partners. And earning is still based on operating carrier and fare class, just like it was before. You need to look at the charts and compare your fare class to know for real. Screen shots of other peoples' itineraries won't really apply to you unless you're flying in the same fares/routes.

8. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    agreed, but it would give an idea and comparison

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It looks the same as it did before. The points post based on fare class and distance flown.

10. GreenCal

GreenCal Silver Member

Status Points:
    I need help ! I can buy Air Canada at $300 cheaper then United. Currently I am 1K. Can you educate me what is difference between two?
    Thank you

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What is the fare class you're buying? Is it an AC ticket for travel on AC or UA flights? Ditto for the UA ticket. What is the route and the fares??

12. GreenCal

GreenCal Silver Member

Status Points:
    LAX to YWG
    AirCanada Economy A/K $559.53 VS
    Unitedcom V/S/G fare $784.83

Thanks,

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Where's the connection on the AC fare and on the UA fare? Are those fares one-way or round trip? Do you care more about award miles (RDMs) or elite qualification (PQMs)?

Odds are the UA fare will accrue many more miles because the AC fare is only going to earn at 25% or 50%, but getting all the details is necessary to know for sure.

14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just completed my first trip post-r-b.s and below is a screenshot of the mileage activity for the trip [including a *A segment on LH], followed by what it means:

BUD-TRIP R-B.S..png

As you can see, the Table still looks the same as before. However, the items under the "Award miles" column now mean completely different things. The items under the "Premier qualification" column still mean what they meant before the change over.

To see the difference in the items under the "Award miles" column, let's take the data for UA 989-V class flight on 3/24/2015, IAD-FRA. The BIS distance for that segment (4,081 miles) can be obtained from the first column ("Miles") under "Premier qualification" (grey area). Under the legacy FF system the items under the "Award miles" column for a 1K would have looked like this:
    Code:
    Base Miles                    Bonus Miles                       Total Miles

4081                            4081                               8162

As you can see, things look completely different for the "Award miles" under the r-b.s. in the official Table. What do "Base Miles", "Bonus Miles" and "Total Miles" mean under the new system?
    • The "Total Miles" are easy to figure out. Just take "Dollars" (i.e. revenue for that segment) from the gray area ($368) and multiply it by 11 (the RDM/$ for a 1K) = 4,048 "Total Miles."
    • The "Base Miles" under the r-b.s. are calculated using a multiplier of 5 RDM/$ because that is the "base" or multiplier for a general member: $368 * 5 = 1,840 "Base Miles."
    • The "Bonus Miles" under the r-b.s. can also be considered as the elite bonus miles. With the "base" being 5 RDM/$ and the multiplier for a 1K being 11 RDM/$, the elite bonus multiplier for a 1K is 11 - 5 = 6 RDM/$, so that $368 * 6 = 2,208 "Bonus Miles."
    If you have any two of the above you can, of course, calculate the third.
    My total RDM on the outbound was: Total miles = Base Miles + Bonus Miles = 1,840 + 2,208 = 4,048 (same as $368 * 11)...
    ...that is 4,048 of the 8,162 or 50% of the RDM I would have earned under the legacy FF system. Since the inbound trip was perfectly symmetrical, I can guess that my total RDM for the segment will also be 50% of legacy. One Big Hit Job!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  15. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, that is not good then, right? Even if you multiply the $ spent x 11 (I assume 1 K) because of the low fare you are getting a lot less than you would have pre March 1st. Or do I see that wrong? Thank you for the screenshot and the detailed report! I am only Gold so it would look worse. I will have my first domestic Air China flight this week since the changes so I will see how this gets affected.

16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Depends on travel patterns and spend. Some people will do better and others will not.

Did you buy from United? If not then the earn rates are based on miles flown and fare class, just like last year.

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  17. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    No did not buy from UA stock, way to expensive buying domestic CA tickets on UA or even on CA US based website.

18. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    To break even compared to the legacy FF system for just that one segment (i.e., to get 8162 RDM), a 1K would have to purchase a ticket that cost 8162 miles/11miles/$ = $742, i.e., $742/$368 = 2x more for just that one segment...

That is why it is called "revenue-based" ;)
    But, of course, he would not get the PQDs since it won't be a 016 ticket...

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    Thomask likes this.
  19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The RDM and PQM earning will be based on the charts here: http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/Mar...s/Pages/AirlinePartnerDetails.aspx?ItemId=312. Click the link labeled "Ticket number does not start with "016" and was purchased from an airline other than United or from a travel agency or other travel website" to get the RDM numbers; scroll to the bottom for PQM numbers. Cheaper fares earn only 50% in both categories.

20. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you!

21. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The miles for my inbound BUD-FRA-IAD-LGA trip just posted and under the r.-b.s. symmetric itineraries do not earn the same number of miles...not by a long shot, which is not surprising since the likelihood that fare classes would be different, despite the symmetric itineraries, is quite high:

BUD-TRIP-RDM-EARNINGS2.png
    My total miles for LGA-IAD-FRA-BUD were: 5,335. Doing the same itinerary in reverse (BUD-FRA-IAD-LGA), I earned 8,437 miles, for a total for the trip of 17,773 miles or 32.5% less than the 20,404 that I would have earned under the legacy FF system. The numbers are in pretty good agreement with my initial estimate back in February (I earned 33 miles more than I'd estimated based on ticket cost, meaning I picked up $3 extra somewhere). The most significant difference in the miles earned between the symmetric outbound and inbound itineraries is that the LGA-IAD (outbound) segment was on a $41 V fare, which earned just 451 miles, whereas the IAD-LGA (inbound) segment was on a $313 H fare, which earned whopping 3,443 miles for a distance traveled of about 250 miles, which would have earned me just 1,000 (500 min) under the legacy system. This illustrates the fact that short expensive trips may be the way to go under the r-b.s., with the caveat that one may earn lots of RDMs but not enough PQMs to make elite status!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    Thomask likes this.
  22. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    wow and that as a 1K flyer. I am only Gold so it would be even less....