United's Reputation explained

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by 8MiHi, Nov 29, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Newark Star-Ledger has a very good article discussing United's reputation here: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/20...ne_fly.html#incart_most-read_business_article
    It does a good job of outlining where UA is today and what appears to be the root sources of the bad reviews they are getting.
    My opinion has been better than many since I have had few problems this year. All of my flights arrived safely on or close to schedule and I feel I have been treated appropriately on all of my flights.

Counsellor and Dublin_rfk like this.
  2. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Truth in advertising disclaimer. I am a 1K MM flyer with UA and had more than a few hiccups on UA when traveling.
    The article does cover most of the major complaints - shotgun style. The mixing of apples and oranges when covering some point makes for a good story. I would like to see the author's option on the USAir/AmericaWest merger or a piece on AA in about a year.

8MiHi and ACMM like this.
  3. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    His conclusion is correct, but it is not due to "the integration of the two airlines' computer systems, policies and operations" not going well. It was the deliberate decision to treat loyal United customers (referred to as "over-entitled") poorly. And the result should have been foreseen by anyone other than a bean-counter.

Looking only at the bottom line and ignoring "people points" tends to alienate customers. It is well known that people will put up with a lot if they think the company, or their boss, is really interested in them and their best interests. It is also the case that treating customers with disdain tends to breed disdain (and "voting with your feet") in return.

At least, that's been my experience. IMHO United has a lot of backing and filling to do to win back customers' loyalty, and indeed to win back customers, period.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    chitownflyer and Dublin_rfk like this.
  4. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This could be all summed up by stating that the merger resulted in significantly reduced elite and loyalty program benefits, operational problems, and labour issues. This was then flogged by $mi/J who told his customers via onboard video that, "these are changes you are going to like."

Counsellor and Dublin_rfk like this.
  5. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hope and Change!
    I've heard that somewhere else and liked it just as much.

Counsellor likes this.