United's handling of delays

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Apr 28, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Third flight in ten days on UA that is significantly delayed and the airport displays and united.com/mobile app show the flight on time. The GAs know about the delay (obviously, because the boarding would have started 20 mins ago) and have made an announcement that boarding will likely start in 45 mins. The display right above their head continues to shows "on schedule".

Does UA have a technical problem getting the right information out?

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that your best friend under the circumstances are the text messages that are sent directly to your phone/email. Before I left for SLC, bad weather at ORD caused my LGA-ORD flight to be canceled. I immediately got a text message on my mobile phone about it and was able to rebook right away, including confirming upgrades for 4 new segments on short order. On the way from SLC, we connected through IAH, where I got a message to the effect that the connecting flight to LGA had been delayed by about 1 hr. This was enough time for me to decide to head for the UC. While there and before the 1 hr delay had expired, I got another message saying that the plane was ready to start boarding. All of this is to say that he text messaging/email system provides more up-to-date flight info than what is provided on the monitors in the gate area.

stephenbgarvan likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No text messages for any of those flights either. Yes, I am signed up and received one as recently as this afternoon confirming an on-time departure for a flight that was in fact on time.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  4. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it mainline or UX?

stephenbgarvan and IDGflygirl like this.
  5. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would flightaware be helpful to check the flight status?

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Mainline. At three different airports.

Perhaps. I didn't check if non-UA sites had better information than UA tools.

7. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    This reminds me of the times when companies (and not just airlines) blame technical issues on the computers. Nothing irritates me more than "customer service" folks blaming computers for problems. Because computers do what people tell them to do.

In this case, my speculation is that the apps/website, whatever, are doing exactly what they're being told to do. Whether it's a manual override of information or the lack of a proper chain of information that needs to be in place.

And I'm not just talking about the OP's experience, but my experiences in January. See if you can spot the different illogical pieces of information in these screen shots.

IMG_1754.PNG

IMG_1763.PNG

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  8. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    You, nor any other customer, should have to go to a third-party site for simple, accurate schedule information for a flight.

goalie and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  9. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a "great" experience a couple weeks ago at EWR where my flight was delayed due to ATC, and the next gate over was also a delayed SFO flight. The monitors at the gate, the displays behind the GAs, and the flight status displays around the airport all showed both flights departing on time. People kept rushing up and asking the GAs if they had missed the flight, or when it was going to board, or when it was going to leave. GAs started complaining to each other that nobody was listening to their (very confusing) announcements when all they had to do to eliminate the vast majority of the questions would be to actually mark the flight as delayed with a new estimated time of departure.

10. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bolding mine: This is a trick question, right? ;)

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, I am not asking if Shares is broken and the cause for this. I am fairly certain this has worked properly for other flights since the 3/3 switchover. I am just wondering if anyone else has seen similar problems recently... and ultimately if UA is aware of this (paging UA Insider)

12. stephenbgarvan

stephenbgarvan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have noticed that in several airports for at least 3-5 years for United...

13. stephenbgarvan

stephenbgarvan Silver Member

Status Points:
    and the emails in those same last 3-5 years-mostly premerger- to my phone from United have been EXTREMELY helpful!!!