United's first 787 heads to final assembly

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Infinite1K, Aug 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    mht_flyer, IMGone, rwoman and 4 others like this.
  2. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess till they get their 2nd 787 they will keep it on domestics. Cant see how they can place it on an Intl route where it wont be the same equipment everyday, it will be a big headache unless they have enough planes for any Destination to keep it all 787s and with just 1 plane that cant be done

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can certainly see them using it domestically while they work out the kinks.

But they can certainly use a single plane on an international route. It just won't be a daily frequency.

IMGone and jbcarioca like this.
  4. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I imagine they'll shake it down doing domestic hub-to-hub routes but I wouldn't be shocked, once they are confident in each airframe, to see it worked into the schedule on a route normally flown by a PMCO 762 until they have enough in fleet to open up routes such as IAH-AKL that are planned for all 787 service. The capacity would be a little larger on the 787, but it's not a huge change and they could obviously sell the additional seats if they're certain of which dates the 787 would fly...or they could rely on the improved economics of the 787 to make it comparable to the 762 without selling additional seats.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    my pt is as a passenger i dont want to see OK if I fly ABC-DEF on Sun its a 787 but coming back on Tues it wont be and it will be a 787 again 2 weeks later

so if say they will use it EWR-SJO and that flight will operate only x times per week it can workout as an immediate turn around from SJO. I just dont how many places UA/CO flys to where its not on a daily basis on an Intl routing from the US

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    They will keep it in the Continental USA until they work out the snags.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not in the United USA? :D

8. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    The "Continental United" States of America?

9. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    as expected and no different then ANA who is keeping theirs within Japan. The problem is when you have but only 1 plane its not so easy to use it on a Long Haul route since it wont be able to fly say EWR-FCO and get back in time to fly it once again. eg Sun flight # 1 EWR-FCO & Mon flight #2 FCO-EWR then Mon to go back again as flight #1 EWR-FCO, besides most carriers like to mix up the routes each plane flys, so the 777 IAH-NRT will probably return as the NRT-EWR, of cause that wouldnt be the case if IAH-NRT was a 764 and EWR-NRT is a 777

so at least until they get a few 787s they wont be using it to its max

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually Craz, they can do EWR-FCO-EWR or similarly EWR-LHR-EWR daily with the 787 when it enters service...here's an example for LHR that CO currently uses...

1925 EWR 0740 LHR (7:15)
    1005 LHR 1255 EWR (7:50)

This is a daily frequency so the flight would get back in time to EWR to do the turn and sits for 6 hours (while not profitable or productive but it's quite doable if CO wanted to cut the ground time in LHR and EWR they could tack on another trip out of EWR to a non-delay prone airport...

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    yes they could but if you check lets say #28 for 8/15 it came from DEL and for 8/16 it will the NRT Inbounding. yet the 29 from LHR is always it seems the flight that arrived from IAH. As thats how most carriers will utilize their planes. Of cause take DEL, or BOM in those cases as with any where its a single flight a day, the OutBound is simply the Inbound turning around.

Its also very rare (but Ive seen it on occassion) where its say EWR-TLV-EWR-TLV-EWR using the exact same plane. With just 1 plane of any type (in our case the lone 787) I highly doubt they would want to keep it going back and forth & back and forth , between the same 2 airports for any length of time. although they could do so but its not how they want to use their aircraft

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Granted that CO utilizes their plane most often but...in this instance a simple EWR-LHR-EWR-LHR-EWR and so on could suffice for one frame (787)...

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do we even know if the plan is to have daily frequency for the IAH-AKL flights?

Not sure if there is really that much traffic to warrant that frequency.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. unityofsaints

unityofsaints Active Member

Status Points:
    Looking gorgeous.

I've got some EWR-LAX-DEN, DEN-SFO-EWR trips coming up in the middle of January, any of the resident soothsayers want to speculate on whether it will be in service by then? Would be sweet to catch this during it's domestic tryouts! :D

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pretty sure that's what the plan is.
    Things may have changed in the past 18 months or so but I believe that part of the reason ANA is operating only "locally" is also because the JAA won't certify the aircraft for ETOPS operations until it has actually flown a bit. This contrasts with the FAA which was willing to certify it during the manufacturing process.

Either way, the airlines need to get crew cycled through it more than what long-haul segments will permit to get folks fully familiarized and able to work it on the longer routes.

RichardInSF, jbcarioca and Ygor like this.
  16. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Wandering one is correct. When the 777’s started arriving, the first ones were kept on domestic routes for a while until crews were plentiful and up to speed. I remember being on a EWR-IAH flight that was held up because CO didn’t have enough pilots certified to fly the plane near to EWR; they’d made a mistake and the scheduled pilot wasn’t certified. Don’t know if pilot scheduling and aircraft scheduling didn’t coordinate or what, but it was 1 1/2 hours delay while the pilot drove in from home. They actually admitted this was the situation! :)

I think staying domestic’s also a good way to shake down a brand-new aircraft and body type. On a domestic route, if something goes wrong, setting down someplace quickly is easier, over a land route, than an international flight part-way across an ocean with nothing but water below.

17. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    When Air Canada introduced the 777, I flew it a number of times on the sub one hour flights between Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal. From what I was told... it wasnt so much building hours for the pilots, but rather the number of take-offs and landings... Not sure if the rules are different between Canada and the US in this regard.

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It could easily be daily if to western Europe from US east coast.

rwoman likes this.
  19. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, and AF flew their A380 CDG-LHR several times per day for soem months. I flew it on that route myself. They were doing it, they said, to get operational experience for loading/unloading, refueling and logistics, as well as to get cockpit and cabin crew operating experience, specifically landings/takeoffs, in enough quantity to enable full deployment as the fleet grew. It was fun for passengers too. Soem of the seats were sold for as little as Euro 1 because they wanted the aircraft full. Many, including most of the business class cabin i was in flew in from CDG, turned around and immediately flew back.

Because the 787 will often be deployed on long routes I suspect many airlines will do such things for their initial aircraft, for similar reasons.

rwoman and Flyer1976 like this.
  20. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I look forward to seeing the 787's flying! :) EVENTUALLY, they will make it to LHR!

21. AtoZ

AtoZ Silver Member

Status Points:

22. AtoZ

AtoZ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is the configuration known now? IIRC it is 2-class with E+, but not sure how many seats in each category.

23. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was originally announced as 36/192. I'm betting it stays 36 up front and they lose 9-18 in the back.
    It will be interesting to see if the CO/UA 787s get into LHR any time soon. I'm betting that's one of the routes that keeps F service so the 787s are not likely to work for that.

24. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. My comment was more around the original promised route for the 787: IAH-AKL. For that route, they could use one plane though with 3 flights/week.

25. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Aha, some fresh meat to ride on!! Finally! I've aged a decade waiting for this.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.