United will keep International First Class

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by EWR764, May 31, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...-keeping-first-class-cabins-after-merger.html

No mention of specific routes, but this is the most concrete information I have seen to date. The carrier will keep a hybrid F/J/Y and J/Y strategy going forward, as has been widely predicted. Now, the question is, how will service levels be merged?

As with Economy Plus, the rumors of this product's demise have been greatly exaggerated! :D

2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great find. I imagine some of the routes must be a nightmare for this merger.

3. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I dunno, it may be all a matter of perspective. The new UA has a benefit that none of us do: data. They know exactly how each route on each aircraft for each flight performed, and they can make educated guesses about what route should be operated by a particular aircraft from that. That, to me, sounds like a great opportunity for UA.

But I have a feeling the number of international F seats is going to be spread across SFO, EWR, ORD, and IAD, and the Asia flights operated out of IAH.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  4. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will be interesting to see how they manage the dozens of equipment types now. Totally a 180 from what COs Methodus Operandi was pre-merger (which was a great system IMHO).

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Based on this decision I would assume that a fair number of people actually do pay for international F on UA. I wonder what percent of F is actually paid for?

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  6. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    True, and also for the fact that it is a kickass driver for paid Business fares that can SWU up to First. UA Business is good value for high-volume international travelers who earn upgrade instruments and can apply them to confirm three cabin F.

7. SeaRaptor
    Original Member

SeaRaptor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can see them operating 3-class birds to Asia from anywhere, and to Europe from the West Coast. The other European routes (from IAD, ORD, IAH, EWR, etc.) are typically less than 9 hours going over (sometimes as short as 6.5), which seems like a waste for full-price F.

8. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not so much the length of the trip, compared to the markets served.

An F cabin will probably make an appearance on business heavy CO routes like IAH - AMS with high oil traffic and EWR - ZRH for banking.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This one is already announced. It took over an aircraft from IAD-CDG, a route that apparently has much lower paid F demand. Not too surprising, really.

10. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice find.

It is interesting that SMI/J sees value in United's name and decided to keep it, but cut out the logo.

For most people the logo and the name go hand in hand :confused:

11. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great news that they are keeping 3-class for INTL markets...hope SYD is one!

12. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd argue most people don't care.

cheepneezy, unavaca, spaced2 and 2 others like this.
  13. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just don't see how this is so incredibly difficult to understand:

(emphasis mine)

With today's announcement, we have confirmation that two of the most important, tangible aspects of the legacy United product are going to be a part of the merged airline's future. Will the bellyaching over the logo ever end?

seaflyguy, LETTERBOY and FlyingFree like this.
  14. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    What interests me are the cities with overlap. EX LHR, you get BF out of IAH and EWR and UA Business out of the UA hubs. They both are the same price, but most people wont know to fly the CO planes over the UA planes on the J fares.

15. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Using a "U" for a logo makes sense for a company called "United." Delta uses an actual delta; American uses an eagle, the national bird; Alaska uses an Alaskan Eskimo. The CO globe made sense for Continental because you can imagine continents on the globe. But what connection is there between the globe and United? None I can think of. I am not so attached to the tulip as some, though I would have liked it to stay. I am more upset over what they replaced it with because they took something that made sense and replaced it with something that did not.

16. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ya think, Jeff? Now give me back my pillow in first class you cheapskate :mad:

sobore, Jslo, canucklehead and 2 others like this.
  17. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I dunno. I don't think there's that many paid F customers going that route. Plus, they make much of their LAX-SYD money on freight, don't they?

18. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What do you make of the AT&T logo? The Chevrolet logo? JPMorganChase? Nike?

I don't think there is any rule that a good corporate logo has to meet some subjective criteria of "making sense". The logo reflects the new entity's mission: to incorporate aspects of both predecessors into a new global carrier.

LETTERBOY and ssullivan like this.
  19. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    Possibly not but a lot of full fare biz pax who use their hard-earned SWU's on that route.

wombat18 likes this.
  20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But is that really a sufficient justification for keeping a product? Especially when many of those "full fare" biz pax are on corporate contracts that yield anything but full fare rates?

21. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't mean to suggest that all logos have to make sense. I'm just saying that the new combination of name and logo from different companies doesn't make sense. If you start out with something that doesn't make sense, that's fine. But to go from something that makes sense to something that doesn't seems odd. The idea that the combining half of each company automatically makes the new one better is stupid. You have to pick and choose the pieces with discrimination.

Smisek said that they went with the UA name because it has better recognition, while few people know about CO. So why keep the CO logo? Because they already had the UA name and so they needed to fill in the other half from the CO side? Does the CO logo have better recognition than the UA logo? I haven't heard any good explanation of why they took half from each company. The implication is that each company had a bad logo/name combination before since they couldn't keep either one intact.

22. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    Uniting the globe? Works for me...

23. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or that choosing one in a wholesale manner creates the illusion that the surviving brand usurped the other, which could easily have unfavorable morale repercussions. Regardless of how you feel about execution and decisions made since the merger, the branding truly is a hybrid (for better or worse).

LETTERBOY likes this.
  24. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Maybe for all the business CO had in Latin America where no one speaks English?? ;)

Seriously, though, there are certainly markets where the CO brand also has some value. And there is absolutely some value in trying to keep the employee morale up by melding the two.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  25. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought it would remain but not in all mkts

A big problem will be when they will need to do an equip swamp and the available bird doesnt have FC. lookout

sunseeker, goalie and LETTERBOY like this.