United vs Lufthansa First Class

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by nimasut, Mar 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. nimasut

nimasut Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm booking an award trip for my parents from DC to Paris. I have the option of using Lufthansa or United Business on the way there and Lufthansa or United First on the way back. Which of these airlines has a better first and business class product?
    I could probably swing this trip with One World awards through american or BA, though the dates would be less optimal. I also don't want to pay the fuel charges on BA. Just curiuos if the upper class products are worth looking into compared to the Star Alliance options.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a joke post, right? There is no comparison between LH and UA tatl f.

Certainly the LH f experience in fra first class terminal is amongst the best airport experiences in the world. I find on board to be grossly skewed in LH's favor, too.

3. nimasut

nimasut Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Nybanker. That's what I figured. I've never actually flown either, but I wasn't sure just how skewed it was. I've heard business is better in LH, but haven't seen as much about first. That's probably why there were so few LH options relatively. Thanks again...

4. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    my thoughts exactly.....

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never fly a US carrier when you can avoid it, especially if that carrier happens to be US (Airways).

The only exception I make is for United's E+ when I'm in coach.

6. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll pretend that this thread never happened........:D the nerve......

jetsetter likes this.
  7. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Visit my blog post on the F experience at FRA First Class Terminal and watch the video at the end of it.....That should end the discussion right there! :)

nimasut likes this.
  8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nimusut...pls excuse the levity here. Indeed, it is close to unanimous, go with LH over UA.

If you can connect to fl f in fra, make absolutely sure to bake in extra connection time for the fct.

Gaucho, nimasut and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  9. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    We kid because we care....

Gaucho and Scottrick like this.
  10. nimasut

nimasut Active Member

Status Points:

This looks amazing! Thanks. I think my parents will love their first international first class experience. Now to plan a trip for my wife and I...

11. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely.

Since they will be connecting through FRA, bake in extra time so they can enjoy the lounge (ie ... Have their flight from Paris he the one before what the natural connection would be). When they get to FRA, they actually will have to exit the airport terminal and simply turn left and walk about 100 metres to get to the fct (which is a stand alone terminal).

They can check their bags all the way through to their final destination at cdg, so they won't have to reclaim their luggage at fra. Being an schengen arrival, it will be very easy at fra in terms of arrivals.

Now, the next question of course, is finding availability...

Gaucho likes this.
  12. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    See my signature for my trip report on LH F...

Gaucho likes this.
  13. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    While LH F >> UA F, I would actually say the hard product for UA new C >> hard product for LH C. If I had to be somewhere well rested and could guarantee a flatbed business seat on UA, I would probably take it over LH. But of course, this thread is about F, in which case, take LH.

14. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do agree with the seat. I just spent a fair amount of time in the LH C seat and could never get quite comfortable enough. The new UA F hard product is really nice but the service and dreck they serve borders on the atrocious at times.

Gaucho and estnet like this.
  15. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here is what I would do. UA C non-stop IAD-CDG. They'll have a lie-flat seat and no connection.

On the return, I would book them an evening flight CDG-FRA and they can stay at either the airport Sheraton or the new Hilton, and then continue on LH F FRA-IAD while first enjoying the full FCT experience in FRA. Fare rules consider anything less than 24 hours to be a connection on an international itinerary, so FRA remains a connecting point even with the overnight.

PhlyingRPh likes this.
  16. TrippePanAM

TrippePanAM Gold Member

Status Points:

I have have to agree with what others have said ..... you can't be serious about even debating this.

17. TrippePanAM

TrippePanAM Gold Member

Status Points:
    probably a good idea..... :)

18. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    We have a trip coming up in a couple of weeks and have gone hundreds of miles out of our way with our itinerary to visit the FCT/FCLs. It is a destination in it of itself.

Seacarl likes this.
  19. TrippePanAM

TrippePanAM Gold Member

Status Points:
    i have yet to make it to the FCT :eek:

20. nimasut

nimasut Active Member

Status Points:
    So I'm set on the airline. The only available flights are with mixed cabin awards, where the short connection from FRA or MUC to CDG is on a lower class of service. How does this affect the ability to use LH lounges? Does it matter if the first or second leg of your journey is in F class in terms of your ability to use that lounge? Also, are the business class lounges also relatively exceptional, or is it limited only to first class?

21. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMO the LH business class lounges are OK but not special. With *Gold status, you can use the SEN lounges which at least have much better food but can be very crowded.

For the TATL business class segment, you should try to avoid LH aircraft with 2-3-2 seating.

22. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As long as you have a same day ticket on an LH or LX flight in F you can use the FCL or FCT. As long as you are on LH metal intra europe, it doesn't matter if you are in C or Y. There is no F on intra europe routes.

BTW, the 2-3-2 configs are only on the 747, and its fine. LH C seats are the same fleet wide for long haul aircraft. Considering the amount of 2 wide seating on the 747, it would be very difficult to find yourself in the middle seat. If you are on a 747, I would recommend a seat in the nose of the aircraft. If on an A330, pick the mini C cabin directly behind F. You tend to get slightly more attention there.

23. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The seats in the nose of the 747, the minicabins, and other preferred seating are reserved for LH elites and sometimes *A *Golds. They cannot be reserved in advance by other passengers, even on paid business class fares.

24. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes they can, though a few may be blocked, many remain open for anyone. Just a call to LH. Have done it at least 5x in the last 2 years for my parents who were not elite program members at the time. LH agents are very helpful.

Gaucho likes this.
  25. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had every seat available online for several LH J award tickets for UA non-elites using my UA non-elite miles. Pretty sure they can be reserved.