United Vs. Continental

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by slice19, Aug 31, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. slice19
    Original Member

slice19 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Quick question. I'm booking a short trip homw for Thanksgiving FRA-BOS (economy) and wonder which airline to book through. Both United and Contential offer the same price for a flight which is ultimately operated by Lufthansa. I am just wondering if the airline issuing the ticket will effect my baggage allowance or other issues should something go wrong (i.e. overbooked flight, lost luggage, etc.). Generally I just fly this route on a Lufthansa ticket and am only booking through one of the others because it is slightly cheaper, if anyone knows of a reason to book through Lufthansa, I would love to hear that as well as the price difference is only about $50. Thanks for your input.

2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only difference I see is the possibility to get bumped up to E+ on United.
    On occasion when Y is overbooked and there are not enough seats to go around, it is possible to get bumped to E+ seating, even for non-elites.
    You may also want to consider buying up to E+ on UA. LH economy seems to be somewhat undesirable as many have stated in the past.
    I would look for dates/ routing that are on UA metal.

So IMO it would be:

UA
    CO
    LH

DCA Rob likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since the flight is operated by Lufty this doesn't matter.

Yes, the change rules apply based on the ticketing carrier, but only in advance of the day of travel. Once you're at the airport the operating carrier is supposed to handle everything.

There is no reason to pay extra to have it ticketed by LH.

jmrich1432 and slice19 like this.
  4. slice19
    Original Member

slice19 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your suggestion but, I would always prefer to fly on LH metal as I have no reason to complain about their service and they serve alcohol in economy. They also take care of lost luggage really well (although I have not lost my luggage on a US based carrier) LH has handled it the best out of the 4 EU carriers who have lost my luggage.

Exactly what I wanted to hear and since all 3 offer a free piece of luggage, I guess it does not matter with whom I book. Thanks for confirming.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The baggage policies are actually governed by the carrier operating the first flight of your trip. So even if a CO ticket permitted 2 free bags - which it does not! - the fact that you are flying on LH metal means you get their policies.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  6. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    How important is it to earn lifetime miles for this itinerary (approx. 9,000 miles worth of them)? If it is a high priority, then regardless of who you purchase the ticket from, you should be aware that you will NOT earn lifetime miles if you credit the mileage to your MP acct. However, if you credit the miles to your OP acct, you WILL earn lifetime miles.

7. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which FF plan are you going to have the miles credited to? Do you know the fare classes yet? If not, you should see the fare codes before committing to buying the ticket. sometimes mapping of fares will make a difference. I suspect at this point UA and CO should map identically, but it would not surprise me if there are still a few discrepancies.

8. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is not a guarantee right now, depending on how the new MM program is structured. If they go the MP way, then it won't count no matter what, if they go OP, then it will.

PhlyingRPh likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends on how they combine the existing MM balances, no?

PhlyingRPh likes this.
  10. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    That it does. I just know that it is very easy to select whatever criteria and pull the records and adjust the balances for whatever method is used to calculate the new MM balance.

11. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If you are on a non stop FRA-BOS it will just be LH's luggage policy. however if you have multiple flights, something called MSC (Most Significant Carrier) will apply. This is to allow you to get more luggage onto a regional or feeder flight to your gateway without incurring different baggage policies with different airlines. basically, the airline you are going to have the most butt in seat time, will determine the baggage policy for everyone.

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Interesting... including fees and fee waivers? (scenario: feeder flight LIH-HNL on Hawaiian connecting to mainland UA flight... we were charged $10 for the checked bag, which would have been free due to 1P/1K status)

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  13. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Its something you need to suggest to the check in agent since they usually dont pay attention. But the only time I've heard the MSC working is when flying within one alliance.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ah, well, Hawaiian isn't in *A, so that wouldn't have helped. And it was only $10, so not end of the world. But I'll keep it in mind for next time in a similar situation, can't hurt to ask/suggest. Thanks!

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  15. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    My assumption, and we know how those go, is that whatever one brings to the party via their OnePass account on 12/31/11 will count according to OnePass rules. So, if you flew a lot of US segments in 2011 for instance, and credited them to your OnePass account, they would count toward your MM balance.

16. slice19
    Original Member

slice19 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all this info. I am currently collecting miles through the Miles and More program. I have a lot of Hotel programs but this is the only airline program I have and I keep my flights in the *A. Am I missing something?
    Ultimately, I booked the flight from United via Expedia because it allowed me to collect Expedia points as well. As far as fare class it is an L (I paid $625 USD) and will only net 3000 ish miles. It was really not about prioritizing maximizing miles as much as getting home for Thanksgiving for a cheap price with miles as a bonus.

At present, I only fly leisure but I hope to return to business travel once I get a new job next summer and then join the ranks of you with status. Am I missing soemthing, is it worth joining more than one FF program if moyt of my flights are in Europe? Clearly I am still learning this game.

17. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    You say you generally fly this route on LH but do you have any status on LH? The reason I ask is that it is the operating carrier that applies rules like baggage allowance and etc so if you purchased the ticket via UA or CO, shouldn't you be able to have your LH mileage number placed in the reservation and then let your status come into play?

If you have no status (or are not a mileage program member) it is definitely worth joining a program as then you can have partner airline flights mileage credited to your account as it is all about status when things go wrong (lost bags, irrops and etc), checked bag fees and the occasional operational upgrade (aka op-up)

18. slice19
    Original Member

slice19 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nope, I'm status less although I am a Miles and More member and once was lucky enough to get an op-up to business w/o status. I'm working on it but I just don't fly for work these days so I won't make it to status on personal travel alone. My husband just got Silver last year which is great for the extra baggage alone.