United vs CO star award rules. Which will survive?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by meFIRST, Nov 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was browsing around looking for the official rules, and realized why I keep all my miles with Onepass. Lets take a look. This is the official United Mileage Plus Star Award Rules. I assume this will not be the rules in 2012? (when Onepass goes away)

What you can’t do with a Star Alliance award ticket
    a)You cannot book a flight or make changes to a flight that is departing within 24 hours.
    I've personally done this a few times, and it saved me when I missed a flight. Hotel wake up call fail

b)You cannot change the name on the ticket.
    Fair enough

c)You cannot fly an indirect route.
    CO Onepass allows this, provided its not too out of the way, and there are no alternatives

d)You cannot combine classes of service on the same itinerary.
    This is doable on Onepass. Sometimes Business is not available all the time. Or First.

e)You cannot include a stopover when traveling within an award region (for example, an itinerary wholly within North America).
    Yes and No

f)You cannot include a stopover when traveling oneway.
    Fair enough

g)You cannot have a “backhaul” (backtracking routing) unless it is required by routing restrictions.
    Allowed if there are no alternative

h)You cannot travel on codeshare flights operated by other airlines.
    Fair enough

i)You cannot upgrade an award ticket.
    Yes you can. More miles and $

j)You cannot earn award miles, elite status miles or elite status segments when flying on any United award ticket, including Miles & Money Awards.
    I don't expect to. Fair enough

k)Discounts for children are not available.
    This seems like a question cheap flyertalkers would ask

Jimgotkp likes this.
  2. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure of your intent of your post meFirst. Are you saying these UA rules suck and CO would never have any kind of these rules?

I very rarely book award tickets unless they are for my Wife or Daughter, but in both cases if I found availability on different *A carriers I would call up the 1K line and book them. No hassel or fuse, just call and book. Never needed anymore than this, just availabilty going from point A to point B. But obviously you need a lot of options I guess?

John

Lufthansa Flyer and Jimgotkp like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The CO rules are, in most categories, more liberal than the UA rules. From routing rules to changes to ease of booking online.

Other than the fact that the co.com underlying technology will survive, suggesting that online booking will remain easy, the other questions have not been answered.

Flyer1976 and Jimgotkp like this.
  4. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully the CO rules will be what stays in the new program since they are using that technology and UA is using stuff from the 70's. The different classes of service is something I just had to deal with yesterday. CO system couldn't pull in a 1st-Biz-Biz award ticket even though all segments are available... probably due to the fact that they correctly saw my 1st leg as the stopover but the 2nd leg was only a 2 cabin plane.

Called UA, after 20 min with India, they can pull it in correctly but want to charge me 1st for the whole trip instead of 1st out, biz back. Hung up, called CO and it's taken care of very quickly for the right mileage. Since I'm not a Plat yet, it cost me $25/ticket to call and book something the website wouldn't pull up which sucks but it was worth it to have a TPAC in OZ 1st vs. biz.

Jimgotkp likes this.
  5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Not everything claims as a United rule above actually is. No problem with 'indirect routings' as long as you do not exceed 15% more than the published Maximum Permitted Mileage for a route. Continental is more liberal than United, but United moved in Continental's direction back in February (allowing a stopover AND an open jaw, like Continental did, moving from not exceeding MPM to not exceeding it by more than 15%).

6. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have no patience for the UA method of booking awards (i.e the land of no) .My money says that when UA switches to SHARES, the old way is going-away.

Most of my travel is for pleasure trips I want to take with miles that I earned the hard way. In my book, it should be easy to use,with minimal complications.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    While we're listing differences between the two programs, CO permits TATL or TPAC for most of Asia at the same price; UA has historically charged more for TATL.

And, yes, UA offers the 15% buffer over MPM but that's not nearly as liberal as CO's version.

8. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Fair, but I haven't seen UA actually charge the higher price for TATL (based on the more expensive Europe-Asia award) since 2008.