United Visa First Bag Free policy?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by alohastephen, Mar 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently signed up for the United Plus Explorer Visa Sugnature card by Chase.
    As a benefit, the first bag checked in is supposed to be free.

Does anyone know if that applies to United code-shared flights? Or United code shared flights where you purchased the ticket through the other airlines?

Thanks.;)

2. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Go by the first operating carrier. Only UA flights get the waiver. So for your first question, no if the flight begins on another carrier; for the second question, yes. From the United policy:

alohastephen likes this.
  3. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the clarification harvson3. :)

4. suspire

suspire New Member

Status Points:
    A semi-related question: If I were to buy UA tickets with the United Plus Explorer via a third-party site like Travelocity, as opposed to the United site itself, do I still get the first bag free?

And related to that question: Has anyone tried doing that by first going through the UR mall (to Travelocity)? Will you get UR points for it? I know, technically, you're supposed to use a UR card (CSP, Freedom, Ink, etc) but I've heard of a lot of people using other cards and going through the UR mall and UR points all the same.

Thanks!

5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think so. Rules only state that you have to use the UA card to purchase, not where.

6. Julianastroup

Julianastroup New Member

Status Points:
    A related question. I realize that the first checked bag free policy says that you have to purchase the ticket with your Mileage Plus card. I used frequent flier miles for my tickets, but paid the fees with my mileage plus card. Does anyone have any idea if that would still qualify for a free checked bag? Fingers crossed it does!

Thanks!

7. Mekong Bob

Mekong Bob New Member

Status Points:
    Just recently received my Chase United Mileage Plus "Explorer" card. The "first bag free" sounds good, but what good is this benefit for international travelers? I fly from Bangkok to East Coast USA and my first checked bag is already free.

8. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    With old CO, in practice, I would never use the card to purchase the tickets but I always got the option for the free bag. Even when I booked others, they were afforded that benefit. The rules always stated you had to make the purchase with the card but since it's linked to your account, I believe you'll just get the free bag regardless.

9. farhanmehta

farhanmehta Active Member

Status Points:
    My friend was today afforded the benefit even though she had not paid for the ticket with the card.

10. MileCards

MileCards Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are right there is little baggage benefit for international travel. But that's the case for the basic entry level credit cards at Delta and American as well. It's a little confusing when they label it 'first bag' though. A lot of people interpret that to mean 'first bag I would have to pay for' instead of the very first bag checked.

11. raftofmedusa

raftofmedusa New Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone ever heard of United Express? Well, they are not United. Even though they advertise the Explorer Card in the terminals for UE, you do not get the first bag free if United Express is your first flight. Out of Palm Springs, one can only fly United on United Express, thus no free first bag with the Explorer Card. It doesn't seem right since UE is very much necessary to United.

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is not a correct implementation of the policy. United Express follows United Airlines baggage policies.

Have you actually been denied this benefit?