United -->USAir

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by TravelBear, Feb 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it possible to move UR points to United but have them credited to USAir? If not then I think I need to change directions.

2. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could conceivably buy US flights or UA code-shares on US metal with UA miles, but I don't think you can transfer UR points to US specifically. What are you really trying to do?

zshanlon and TravelBear like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You cannot get the points from UR to a US DM account. You can get them into a UA MP account and redeem for travel on US metal (low level only, not mid/high and no off-peak awards but you can do one-way awards since you use the UA chart). But you cannot combine 20K existing US points with any number of "laundered" UR points to top off an account.

It is arguably possible via points.com but, generally speaking, the value proposition there is horrid.

You cannot buy codeshare flights with points.

zshanlon, mikeschu and TravelBear like this.
  4. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not trying to do anything, just thinking. It sometimes gets me in trouble but I still do it anway.

Steven Schwartz and zshanlon like this.
  5. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got it. What WA said, above. Points.com would likely be the only path as stated but that's an excellent way to destroy value (they're in it to make a profit). If you need US points in a relative hurry it's better to just buy the points (sometimes) or apply for the US DM MasterCard.

6. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    TravelBear, I actually find it very useful to have both UA and US miles in my accounts when booking flights from AVL or CLT. Some trips the UA award chart is friendlier, some trips to US award chart is friendlier.
    Of course, you may have been thinking about something very different. :)

7. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm a points.com fan, but one of the reasons I left US's program is that they don't play with points.com in any interesting way (by which I mean trades). So this isn't something that works for US, even though it does work for UA. There are exchanges, but those suck even more.