United Upgrade List Curiosity Question

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Pizzaman, Oct 28, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    For an upcoming flight I have, I applied RPUs to both of my kids' reservations and decided to float on the CPU system for myself. I thought we had a good chance of clearing. Alas, I was wrong. But, I was puzzled when I saw the actual list. For purposes of the discussion, I'm a 1K and I bought my ticket 6 months ago (a rarity for me) in a lower fare bucket.

My kids ended up 2 and 3 on the list, with me in 7th. Screenshot 2014-10-27 19.42.36.png

Just curious. I didn't think RPUs would have a higher status than CPU once the check-in window open, but maybe I'm remembering it incorrectly.

vickers likes this.
  2. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
    8MiHi, IDGflygirl, vickers and 2 others like this.
  3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Thanks for the link. I thought at one point that once the window opened for check-in, RPUs no longer bumped you up the list and they were slotted along with everyone else according to status. Maybe I'm just remembering it wrong.

IDGflygirl and vickers like this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The rules here are a mess.

According to UA "At 24 hours from departure, waitlists will expire and automatic processing of upgrades, per the priority listed above, will continue."
    Implying that prioritization will continue to be (1) Y/B/M, (2) UG instruments by premier status, fare class and time on list, and (3) CPU, which would explain why you are in 7th position an your kids are in 2 & 3. But then there is also this: "As customers check in, they will be placed on an airport upgrade standby list. This standby list will clear after check-in is closed, and is based on Premier status and fare class", which suggests that within 24h there is no longer a difference between the upgrade instruments, as you thought.

The only thing that would make sense is that there are two operations: [A] At exactly T-24h, the waitlist is processed and everyone on it (who would not yet have checked in at this point) would be transferred to the "departure management (DM) list" (aka standby list), ranked by the standard processing priority. And then anyone who requests an upgrade at check-in (within the 24h window) would be added to the DM list according to Premier status and fare class. For these folks the upgrade instruments are no longer differentiated.

vickers likes this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I seem to remember the same thing as well. The rule must have been changed (for the better, IMHO) as I just described it above.

6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    A lot of pizza on that flight.

Sammich, rggale, Flyer1976 and 6 others like this.
  7. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    No guaranteed delivery in 30 minutes. And, we're checking bags. :eek:

Sammich, rggale and vickers like this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that when it goes to the gate the status of the request reverts to that of the passenger rather than that of the account from which the instrument came, but otherwise the priority for instruments over CPU has always been there. So if you requested the upgrade with miles then your kids would be non-elites on miles (still above all CPUs but after higher tiers).

9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This would be inconsistent with the stated prioritization rule, even if Daddy Pizzaman has a lower fare than his non-elite kids, because within 24h of departure upgrade instruments would no longer be differentiated and elite status trumps all but fare class, so that Daddy pizzaman, the 1K, should rank higher than all non-elites or elites lower than 1K, except for the latter on Y/B.

BTW @Pizzaman, are you all on the same PNR?

10. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, if the kids ended up, hypothetically, with a 'battlefield upgrade' at the gate, - the RPUs would be considered 'consumed' (since their priority on the list was determined by said instruments?
    On a res on which an RPU was applied, I have received an e-mail within 24 hrs that stated the following:
    Within 24 hrs, the res. reflects 'eligible for complimentary upgrade' instead of 'upgrade requested' (as it did outside of T-24).

snod08 and NYCUA1K like this.
  11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup. At least that's my understanding.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also just found a notification from last year, which confirms that the rule changed without much fanfare:
    That is consistent with what I surmised earlier. There is a two-step process, which is a definite plus because UG priority now depends on when one makes the request and not on when one checks in -- something that many had complained about because of the hit or miss nature of intl OLCI. If one could not OLCI then their position on the UG list would be affected. That is no longer an issue if one requests a UG and is waitlisted since the position on the list at the time of the request is now maintained.

13. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    One almost needs a PhD these days to figure out what order the upgrades are given out.

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

mht_flyer likes this.
  14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    If an upgrade clears, even on the DM list, the instrument will be deducted, according to the following policy and exceptions from the same email notification above (this was pretty much known):

15. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    How did this turn out? Did both kids get upgraded? What position on this list did you end up in?

16. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    34 folks on the UG list for ORD to CLE at 7pm....seems like a lot going into the de hublette

Sent from my iPad using milepoint

17. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    This was my understanding as well, not that it matters much. We were on 4 separate PNRs to give the RPUs the best possible chance to clear.

18. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Picture a monkey and a football. When I realized I was buried on the list, I called to have one kid taken off the upgrade list so one parent and child could sit together in F and another pair in coach.

1K desk said they couldn't do it because of airport control. I don't think that's correct but planned to get there early enough. Was going to call a second time but lost track of time.

At ticket counter, they told me I needed to see GA.

At gate, shockingly, they had already upgraded both kids. I explained situation and asked to have one kid downgraded and moved next to me in coach (middle seat had been open). GA said no problem. Also asked if I could board a bit early as it takes more time to get bag in overhead with damaged wing. No problem.

Few mins later, Mrs. Pizza looks up at screen and sees her seat has moved to bulkhead. I go to counter to ask what's going on, different GA said she was told to sit wife and son together.

I politely request to have wife's original non-bulkhead seat assignment back and tell her we'll work out window seat swap on plane (side note: kids are happier with their suitcase in front of them for play toys than waiting until 15-20 mins into flight).

GA quasi-freaks out on me and then says she can't deal with it because she needs to start boarding. So, pre-boarding not happening.

Managed to get wife's seat straightened out quickly and get her and son on board, but I still don't have a seat. I have them board my daughter and tell her to stand with mom in F while I figure it out. We have no power boarding passes at this point and some digital ones have disappeared from app when GA moved everything around.

I go back over to original GA supervisor and ask her if she can just let me board to get our bags in bins and I promise to come back out. Fully expect her to say no. She surprises me and says yes. I tell her at this point I don't even care about having E+ back. Any two seats in coach will do.

When I get on the plane, the pilot has come to address my wife because my son is sitting in someone else's seat. Not a FA, the pilot. Can't make this stuff up. He asks for BP. I tell him I kinda don't have one. He notes that I can't fly. I give him a quick explanation and ask the lady who has the window seat next to my wife if she'll just take 3F instead of 3A. She says no problem. Pilot now happy and smiling and walks away.

I go back to gate. Miraculously, my daughter and I have original seats in coach back. All is well.

Moral of the story. Should have pushed harder on phone or at ticket counter for downgrade so I didn't end with last-minute problem. We were at airport 2 hours prior to flight. Should have been a smoother way.

But, hey. It's days like this that make it easier not to miss 1K when I drop status next year.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  19. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yikes. Fugly and no fun. Maybe keep the 3 F seats, then when you get to your seat in Y, offer the person next to you a F seat. They'll say yes, of course.

Anything to minimize the possibility of a GA messing up! :)

20. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Thought about it. Was trying to preserve the RPU, which is likely gone.

21. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What a tough experience!!
    I got a headache just by reading your post. Thank goodness you kept calm and got through it.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  22. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    There's absolutely a time I would have. Having overreacted enough over the years and seeing it have no affect on the outcome I've mellowed. A smidge.

Flyer1976, snod08 and IDGflygirl like this.
  23. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have to call UA and ask them to redeposit the RPU. :)

24. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yes, though I'm not optimistic.

25. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've downgraded myself before at the gate and then followed up with UA to have the RPU redeposited. They did it without any pushback once they saw that I sat in economy and the RPU status was showing as OPEN.