United to "slim" the A320 fleet

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Wandering Aramean, Aug 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like United is following in the path of slimline seats. The A320s will be refit starting in 2013, including adding an extra row of seats to the aircraft according to a report from Apex. They will be the Recaro 3250 seats, the same as Lufthansa uses on their short-haul NEK fleet.

http://blog.apex.aero/cabin-interior/united-opts-slimmer-seats-airbus-fleet-trim-fuel-boost-revenue/
    http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewanderingaramean/2012/08/united-to-slim-their-a320-fleet/

I've flown on these seats with LH a few times. If United doesn't opt for the "comfort" package with better padding then folks are going to be longing for the legacy CO seats before too long.

genemk2 and 8MiHi like this.
  2. IMRU

IMRU Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've sat on these seats on Swiss, and they were the most uncomfortable seats I'd ever been on. The seat bottom felt like you were sitting on a very tight mesh hammock.

MX likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's because you are.

There is an option for an upgraded cushion package. We'll have to see what UA actually installs.

4. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do they sell the lower priced package as the "tail bone killer" or some other marketing pizzazz buzzword?

5. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    Underbar.

BuckleandBoots and Hartmann like this.
  6. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    The LH version of this seat is definitely not made for the types of routes United utilizes the 320s. I've tried it many times and it's ok for short flights, but after a couple of hours it becomes very uncomfortable.

United needs to order the upgraded version, there's no way they'll get me to fly to the west coast in the LH style seat with no padding

Flyer1976, MX, sdm1130 and 1 other person like this.
  7. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW - I bought a memory foam pillow at Brookstone for $50. It is not for my head, but rather for sitting on those times that I don't make an upgrade. It rolls up neatly so I can keep it in my carry-on, and it is the best $50 I've recently spent. Seat bottom quality is the number one upgrade advantage on flights of 2 hours+ IMHO.

8. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which particular pillow? This one?
    http://www.brookstone.com/LumbarCus...iid=SearchResults|CategoryProductList|691907p

I have a small head-sized tempurpedic pillow...that i sometimes take for travel.

KenInEscazu likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    A portable cushion will be available from your friendly flight attendants for rental. Quantities limited, so book ahead on united.com. 1Ks who didn't clear their upgrade will receive a 10% discount. Pay with your Chase United card and receive a free sample pack of aspirin for further comfort.

thegrailer, genemk2, IMRU and 8 others like this.
  10. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully they will go for the comfort package. I'm slightly optimistic about that, given that the APEX article refers to that option including things like power ports and adjustable headrests, which are already part of how other domestic aircraft are equipped.

If they don't go for the comfort package, it will be a big mistake, especially with the Airbus fleet continuing to operate so many long domestic segments.

11. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's not the one I bought. I was EWR facing a flight to SEA in E+ and I picked one up at their store. It came rolled into a bag which made it easy and convenient to store when not in use. I don't see it on their website, but they have several other options there which look good to me. It's certainly a matter of personal preference, but I trust Tempur-Pedic quality, so I think I may have to add this one to my travel stash:

http://www.brookstone.com/TEMPUR-PE...Bedroom_Pillows|CategoryWidget|691915p&catId=

snod08 likes this.
  12. CGK
    Original Member

CGK Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really hope UA goes with the comfort package. I've flown the LH version a number of times intra-Europe and would not want to deal with those seats on long domestic flights.

13. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA can always sell the extra padding with Economy Plus hahhahaha :p

Sunshine7, Flyer1976 and skyvan like this.
  14. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Minnesota Bruin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any changes to domestic F anticipated?

15. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't give them any ideas..... ;)

16. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would be nice if they used that extra space for one more row of F but I doubt that will happen.

17. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do expect that UA will provide the upgraded seating. I assume that the roll-out would be over some time, so if we have our members looking out for them we can laud management when they make the better choice. I would prefer not to contemplate the alternative.

PanAm and Wandering Aramean like this.
  18. IMRU

IMRU Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now that they're ordering these seats, have they figured out how to deal with the lack of Koito seats? I always have a "dho" moment when I walk into a "new" plane and see row 1 pushed back about 5 miles from the bulkhead.

adambadam likes this.