United to Serve Free Food and Beverage to GS and 1K Elites Traveling in Y

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by NYCUA1K, Jan 22, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This just landed in my mbox. I think that it is a real and substantive enhancement of the program:

upload_2016-1-22_13-24-5.png

Counsellor and rob0495 like this.
  2. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hasn't Delta been doing something similar for years?

3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that domestically AA has done it for their EXPs for years. Delta does it only for their elites seated in Y Comfort+, whereas the UA perk will apply to GS and 1K members seated anywhere in Y and not just in Y+. The UA Choice Menu food includes hot items and not just snacks or snack boxes...

Regardless of who did it first, this is a welcome and substantive enhancement -- one of few in a long time.

Counsellor likes this.
  4. ahappyelite

ahappyelite Silver Member

Status Points:
    A necessity no doubt from a lot of disgusted people (many spending a boatload) who are not clearing on the 67 name upgrade list (thanks to the mergers, smaller planes/FC's, overcrowded hubs, inconvenient scheduling and "Seat discipline")
    AKA collusion/price fixing.

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  5. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    This is actually really good news! And they've finally made it official instead of shock and awe ;) or whatever they were calling the other thing.

As NYCUA1K mentioned, AA has been doing it for years. I'm pretty sure Delta doesn't offer free "real" food for elites anywhere (including Comfort+). That is typically only a snack basket that is similar to the F snack baskets on UA - at least it was on my fairly recent ATL-ANC flight.

6. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice. And for Delta, Yes. Only snack basket for anyone seated in C+. Elites not seated there are on their own. Then again, Delta offer beer and liquor throughout the Y cabin for their international flights.

Dublin_rfk and chrislacey like this.
  7. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA has returned the free beer (and wine) in INT's. At least in my findings. EWR/MUC - FRA/IAD.
    I would discover domestic for a little while next four flugs are F.
    ETC: I won't discover the domestic side for a little while, my next four flugs are in F. My you just gotta love spell check!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    WilliamQ and chrislacey like this.