United to LH or SA

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sfo1, Jun 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Am thinking about South Africa, UA to FRA and then, what would you choose? LH or SA for the best experience. Will be in coach on the FRA CPT/JNB segment

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  2. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lh from fra gives you chance to be on a380 inn case that matters.....

sfo1 likes this.
  3. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Am looking for the best comfort in coach class.

4. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sa has very decent economy. The 380 is virtually new. Can you try one each way? Also if you decide on sa you can get more airtime by doing SFO lhr jnb and skip Germany altogether.

sfo1 likes this.
  5. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Txs for the advice, looked at UA web site and LH was not offered from SFO. Maybe I missed it will go back and look again.

6. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    lh has an a380 that goes to sfo. they used to have a 747 until just a few weeks ago when they put a new 380 into svc. I thought you mentioned you were flying UA from sfo to fra though? either way, I dont think you can go wrong between LH or SA.

7. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    OP said "comfort." LH in Economy is far from comfortable.

Then again, I have not flown in the A380 before.

8. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    At least he'll have that new plane smell!!!

9. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes was going to fly UA transatlantic, so I can use some SWU's as this will be in 1012

10. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since you're talking *A and JNB, what about LX?

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew the inaugural from SFO-FRA (and back 2 days later). It was surprisingly comfortable. I'd dare say it is on par with a proper E- product now and a HUGE step up from the typical LH Y product. Still not phenomenal, but WAY better than the 744.

The 380 disappears from the SFO-FRA route later this fall at some point, I think.

I've flown the SA 346, the LH 380 and the LH 744 in Y in the past 9 months (wow, that's a bit depressing) and the SA 346 is way better than the LH offerings. I'd go SA>>LH380>>>>LH744, all else bign equal.

sfo1 likes this.
  12. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now I am depressed :( am flying LH from YVR to FRA next month on a 346 economy, guess I have not much to look forward two. Will try and upgrade with a UA paper SWU at the airport day of departure, but don't think that is likely to happen but will keep my fingers crossed.

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't done the LH 346 in economy so maybe it is a bit better, but LH is pretty good at making Y feel like Y so I wouldn't bet on it. At least you've got the downstairs lav which is sortof cool.

sfo1 likes this.
  14. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not clear if the OP is going to CPT or JNB. If the ultimate destination is CPT, I recommend going via LHR as SA has a non-stop to CPT from there, but not from FRA. Changing in JNB is a PITA unless you really need the miles - and there's no tourist reason for stopping in JNB, unless you want to get shot.

All connections to SA through Europe are not great as the SA flights are all overnights - but what works best is the late flight out of SFO, which minimises the connection time in LHR/FRA.

15. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was thinking of flying into one and out of the other as I would like to take the train trip between the two. Slightly off my original subject, do you really feel JNB is that dangerous?

16. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    As always, it depends where you are in Jo'burg. The northern suburb of Sandton is fairly safe, but is a modern, almost US-style of suburb. Central Jo'burg is not somewhere that you should spend time. For tourism you can take a guided tour of Soweto and visit a mine (both in groups). Otherwise you are better off staying in or near your Sandton hotel. Cape Town, however, is completely different and altogether much safer.

sfo1 likes this.
  17. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    FRA is an easier connecting airport than LHR. Also you have the option to go into Frankfurt or Mainz if you have a long layover.

18. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    YMMV but I find FRA to be a very hit or miss airport, with misses more frequent than hits. More often than not, I get bussed from the plane, the security lines are terrible and / or the LH Sen lounge is packed. SA operates at LHR from the same terminal as UA and the transfer pax section in T1 is fairly efficient. The lounges are not quite as good, but IME less crowded. As with FRA, it's easy to go into the city if there's a long layover - the Heathrow Express takes you to the Paddington area (very close to Hyde Park) and the Piccadilly Line takes you to many of the great sights and museums. Alternatively, get a bus to Windsor and do the tourist thing there.