United to keep Channel 9?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Infinite1K, May 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seen on Twitter:

[​IMG]

Wonder if this really means the PMUA fleet keeps it or whether they will be adding it to the PMCO fleet.

2. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is GREAT news. My understanding is much of the CO fleet is incapable of adding channel 9 due to the current IFE configurations.
    [​IMG]

Wonder if this really means the PMUA fleet keeps it or whether they will be adding it to the PMCO fleet.[/quote]

3. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    The optimist in me wants to believe that they've figured out that there is a desire to have it and that it's a valuable part of the legacy United culture so they'll invest in preserving it.

The pessimist in me says that they didn't say how long they'd be keeping it. So it could easily just be on PMUA metal until they get the DirectTV system certified and installed.

avflyer likes this.
  4. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I was a betting man, I would go with your pessimistic side. It would probably cost $$ to dismantle channel 9, so they are just going to SOP for now.

I wonder what will happen when former CO pilots start flying UA metal?

5. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Probably no different than the PMUA pilots: Some will see the benefit and will keep it on, others will feel that Big Brother is watching and turn it off.

6. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    The new DirecTV system will have wifi too, right?

Someone should make an iphone/ipad app to follow your flight on LiveATC.net

7. Flyer
    Original Member

Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I <3 @FLYERHULK

8. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would be interesting, but the challenge is that the most interesting times to listen to Ch. 9 are usually when you have to have devices off.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is supposed to, assuming the satellite launches OK and the LiveTV folks get the systems built properly. I understand that their ground-based tests so far have been quite impressive, but until the satellite is up in orbit anything else is way premature.

10. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just one random note, which is slightly off topic. I always thank the pilots for turning on Ch9 as I'm disembarking (if the cockpit door is open and Ch9 was, in fact, on). Last night, I got a "my pleasure" in response. They announced that it would be on due to our massive delay out of LGA.

bonnerbl, yaychemistry and BurBunny like this.
  11. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do as well. Want them to know that passengers ARE listening and it makes a difference.

12. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I consistently ask before the doors close if channel 9 will be on. The FAs always say they will check with the pilot. In spite of this in my last 6 or so flights channel 9 has not been available. (and I make a point when I leave the plane to thank the FA for their service, look at the pilot and say "the lack of channel 9 is a real minus"). We need more people to let the pilots know they need to turn on 9.

13. sparxe
    Original Member

sparxe Silver Member

Status Points:
    My husband loves channel 9 - I'll make sure to ask/thank about it from now on. Good to know!

bonnerbl likes this.