United to Increase PQM Accrual on First/Biz starting Jan 1

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by mht_flyer, Dec 16, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice positive change.

F,J to get 300% PQM

A,C,D,Z,P to get 200% PQM

effective January 1.

I have 2 "A" reservations and they both show 200% PQM earnings now,which is nice.

Why not give extra bonus "multiplier" for these fare classes too :) well.... that would be nice if they did that.....

8MiHi, TAHKUCT and ssullivan like this.
  2. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Before the switch to revenue based RDMs from distance based RDMs, there was a bonus for those fare classes.

3. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    IIRC, the maximum PQMs( fka EQMs) which would be earned for premium fares was a 50 percent bonus for all fares B, Y, and higher including C and F. With these changes, C & F class customers will actually earn more elite miles when buying higher full fare coach and premium cabin fares. In my view, United made this change to compete with American.

If United wishes to retain an Aadvantage over their DFW friends, they would do well to make Mileage Plus the most rewarding program for their elites by keeping the benefits of their program intact: do NOT make elite benefit reductions marketed as enhancements. What would change the game, is United actually increasing the RDMs per dollar spent for every fare for elites and all customers as a comeback to Delta's atrocious SkyPeso program.

4. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I try not to engage in these, but my friend, seriously....

The flyers that matter to UA are alresdy treated very well. We were already earning 75,000 RDMs every (intl) trip. Heck, I had emptied out my account for my wedding in September, and had 350,000 RDMs by November. I'm earning over 1,100,000 RDMs annually now.

That isn't rewarding enough for the flyers that actually increase bottom line revenue?

The other thing I think you got wrong is this change doesn't matter to the flyers who really matter to UA. This change helps the middle guy - the 1k flyer who spends $10,000-20,000 a year. It helps him requal for 1K with less flying. We have plenty of people here who meet the PDQ requirement but don't fly 100,000 PQMs. Now they get relief.

The big flyers don't need relief. I had 300,000 PQMs this year. The only thing increased PQMs get me are a few more RPUs and GPUs - nice but not a huge deal considering I earn around 35 of them a year.

mht_flyer, 8MiHi and ssullivan like this.
  5. chitownflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The $mi/J regime engaged in deleterious cost cutting with the simultaneous degradation of elite benefits. At the same time United's employee relations and operational reliability also plummeted in quality. Then there was Jeff's video announcement before the start of flights telling his customers, "there would be changes, they would like." I see this move as an effort to actually reward those elites whom spend more and purchase premium cabin fares with more status miles.

A question for you is your flying at your own personal expense or is it paid for by your company? This makes a significant difference to those whose travel is funded personally as opposed to by their company.

I am glad you are able to travel in expensive premium cabin tickets and earn 300K PQMs in a year, but your personal situation is not the norm for most travelers and elites. Furthermore, I do not think you should have any cap on the amount of miles awarded from a ticket. 75K is far too low for a 1K on a $15K premium cabin ticket.

Garp74 likes this.
  6. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with everything you wrote except the funding part. It makes no difference that my company pays for my travel. (And they did so because I saved them 9-figures by traveling.) Miles are miles. As for everything else, I'm really hoping (naively or not) Oscar will work hard to fix.

I don't know why there is a 75k cap. My last ticket was over $16,000 and in one theory, should have earned 176,000. But I'm not going to complain about 75,000 because before this year, it earned the same miles as the guy on a deeply discounted Z fare.

7. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    The cap prevents what would essentially be a "buy one get one free" situation for travelers like you who spend a ton.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have my sympathy :)

No way would I want to travel that much for work. Among other things, it would take the joy out of personal travel for me.

This change won't impact me at all. No intention to reach status (beyond Gold via MM) on UA. But a few years ago when I was struggling to reach 1K with personal money it might have occasionally made a difference.

Garp74 likes this.
  9. chitownflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You deserved the 176K miles for that ticket. Perhaps you might try splitting your tickets for more miles, but even an $8K ticket with 1K status will be capped at 75K and experience a 13K shortfall.

And to add, I do not resent you for being in paid travel via a company, I merely seek to point out that not everyone is in such a good personal situation, so the increased PQMs may be beneficial to the demographic you presented spending $10-$20K yearly.

10. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Deserved" seems to be the wrong word here, since UA controls the program and you explicitly allow them to make whatever rules they want with respect to the program. So really, you only deserve what the rules state you get, which is a 75k cap. #overentitledelite

11. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a workaround, though. If the price doesn't dramatically change when purchasing two one way tickets versus one round trip (on many routes it doesn't), then buying two tickets helps reduce the RDM loss due to the limit, and may avoid it entirely.

8MiHi and genemk2 like this.
  12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is no mystery why UA just made this change. Going to the revenue system created a weird situation, which I had in fact predicted, where many so-called high-value customers would purchase premium tickets for short-haul trips, rake in loads of RDMs, but not earn enough PQMs to make elite status. Those folks must have been shocked when they realized that they had spent a ton of money, raked in RDMs but failed to make 1K, Plat or Gold!

AA had seen that hole and moved to plug it up before adopting to the revenue system. UA is just now catching up and the reason may be that they've heard endless complaints from their so-called HVCs about not making elite despite spending a lot of money...

mht_flyer and 8MiHi like this.
  13. chitownflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Great analysis. For once UA copied a change from the competition that I actually like. When there are good deal premium fares, I make an effort to purchase these as it is now much more rewarding status wise to travel in paid business or first and accumulate more PQMs with less travel. I still enormously dislike the reduced RDM earnings on most tickets compared to the distance based RDM scheme, so one must spend an average of 12 cents per mile to reach 1K( .12 x 100,000 = $12,000).

TAHKUCT and 8MiHi like this.