United to End Service at Oakland Airport

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sobore, Apr 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.baycitizen.org/blogs/pulse-of-the-bay/united-end-service-oakland-airport/

United Airlines will end 75 years of service at Oakland International Airport in June, airport and airline officials said today.
    Airport spokeswoman Rosemary Barnes said, "United has been a wonderful longtime partner and we're very disappointed to lose them because they're a global brand."
    However, Barnes said United only serves 1.4 percent of travelers who pass through the airport with its 11 weekly flights between Oakland and Denver.
    She said, "There's lots of good news to balance the loss of United" because other airlines have been increasing their service to Oakland.
    United Airlines released a statement that read, "We are no longer able to continue the service between Denver and Oakland after June 3. The financial performance of the flights has made the losses too great to allow us to maintain the service."

2. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like AS is picking up the slots for flights to HNL. If AS keeps building up on the West Coast, the AS+AA combination is going to start looking real good next to UA.

3. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    e

Still doesn't cover the losses of AA's pulling out of Hawaii from SFO. They had nonstops to all four islands, and two per day on two of them.

4. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same with DL. DL has been expanding OAK with OAK-LAX in addition to the pre-existing OAK-SLC service.

While UA is whining about losses at OAK, DL has upgauged many of their CRJ-200s to CRJ-700/900's with F and glassware on the OAK-LAX runs.

I think the reality of the situation is that UA's OAK service competes with its SFO service, as Bay Area travellers who prefer UA may choose OAK instead of SFO if it's less expensive. It's not exactly a loss per se, it's more of a competitive pressure from in house.

5. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    SJC has also been downsized from a UA perspective. Lost flights to ORD and IAD. And the LAX flights are down to two CRJ flights.

6. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd argue otherwise. The IAD and ORD cuts were years ago. Since the merger, we have an additional mid-con available -- SJC-IAH on all-mainline craft. I'd call that a net win.

desamo likes this.
  7. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was surprised to see in my flight history, a SJC-BOS non-stop on UA from 2004. I've generally not considered SJC a long-haul airport. Also, AA was always small jets to LAX (why I bought a smaller carryon), and UA always had some of their smaller planes on that route.

I'm really glad for the mainline SJC-IAH as sometimes that's a better schedule for me than the SFO-IAH flights, and I have that particular route booked 3x through the end of the year for trips to Central America. Also, frequently the SFO-IAH has no R space available (or X, for that matter), but SJC-IAH has been kinder so far.

8. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It wasn't that long ago that you could fly SJC-NRT on AA. Glad that ANA will be bringing it back to HND.

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  9. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
  10. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:

Because of silicon valley, that makes sense to me, though. I suppose Boston does in its own silicon valley way, too. In fact, if I had to pick four long-haul airports that make sense for where Silicon Valley connects to: SZX, AUS, NRT, and BOS.

11. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
  12. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are so many SFO-IAH flights, that there's always one about the same time as the SJC-IAH flights. I can't see SJC having a better schedule. Availability (R, X, etc., as you point out), sure, but not schedule.

CO used to run the SJC-EWR redeye, which was great. SJC is really lacking a good redeye on UA. At least DL still has SJC-ATL.

13. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, not a better schedule, it just happened to be more available and more convenient for the specific weekends I was looking.

I love redeyes on long eastbound flights.

14. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are no slot issues @ OAK - plenty to go around. Unfortunately, AS is turning into a great airline if you want to fly to Hawaii, and of little use for much else from these parts anymore.

15. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's the big problem with AS -- they're the bandwagon airline. They find their niche, then kill it. Few years ago, they had tons of service to Mexico from the Bay Area. Then they realized that $300 tickets to Mazatlan didn't cut it.

I have a feeling they'll soon learn the same thing about $350 Hawaii runs and figure out what to do next.

desamo likes this.
  16. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Except they are filling a void left by AQ here, and possibly have some decent cargo business on the routes. I am more optimistic (overall) on longer term Hawaii success than Mexico stability, even though certain routes are going to be subject to a lot of tweaking/addition/elimination.

Hannaman and desamo like this.
  17. zippypinhead

zippypinhead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anybody else old enough to remember the college kid that wound up going to Aukland, NZ instead of Oakland by mistake?
    He wound up on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson telling his adventure.

Flyer1976 and desamo like this.
  18. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Didn't find a clip, but did find an article in the paper.

19. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
  20. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    United had also started reducing flights out of OAK a while back as well, so what is your point?

The fact remains that the overall number of flights/seats that United and Continental have out of SJC has decreased as United consolidates at SFO.

21. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which has been going on as their dominance in Terminal 3 has become larger and larger.

22. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure, and I'll argue that the number of seats available on United out of SJC has increased in the last year. The only loss we had in recent memory was downguage of SJC-LAX to CR2s and the complete loss of SJC-SBA, which was EM2s. Other than that, we still have mainline service to DEN on everything up to 752s and we've picked up 737 service to IAH. It's a win, IMO.

BTW, I still believe that reducing capacity to LAX is the smart play. As long as they can scrape by, they'll continue to feed their LAX network without trying to race to the bottom against WN. WN's fleet of 737's out of SJC to the Greater LA area is unbeatable.

desamo likes this.
  23. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    ..and CDG, and TPE, and...and...

24. Scott Schmidt

Scott Schmidt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do have to worry for other secondary airports in California. AA pulled out of BUR recently. ONT has seen passenger numbers slip significantly. The segment-based revenue modeling brought in by PMCO makes these airports no longer low-cost for the consumer, and soon Smisek will surmise there is no demand there.

desamo likes this.
  25. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was trying to focus on recent history. :)

TheBeerHunter likes this.