United systemwide upgrade serious issue - question

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by chiedog, Jul 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. chiedog

chiedog New Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone,

I am travelling from EWR to SIN via HKG.. as you know this is a long flight. One the way from Singaproe to Newark (the trip there) UAL was delayed for 5 hrs in SIN but they told me ahead of time and offered to put me on ANA, which was great because it was a Y class economy seat and i got 1.5x premier qualifying miles. Even better, i was upgraded to ANA business from Narita to EWR (just awesome compared to UAL). But then no surprise here.

OK, the ISSUE : So i saw my name on the top of the upgrade standby list, 44 out of 50 booked people , and 43 of 44 booked around 2:15pm for a 3:15pm flight. I head to the gate and was shocked, the guy, being very unapologetic, told me that because my leg from HKG to SIN (3.5 hour leg) was not upgraded yet, he could not upgrade the LONGER 15.5 hour leg from HKG to SIN. I thought that United allowed systemwide upgrades to be used on one leg? or has the rule changed since the Continental merger.

Even worse, the agent said "if you have a complaint, i urge you to write to Jeff Smisek, President and CEO of United".. what a wise-allick response from a guy who could have remedied the situation.

Making matters worse, i'm a 1K (which means jack for now) and been flying United for so many years.. so embarassing if ANA (i'm not even in their club) can upgrade me and not united? Is this true? that ALL legs have to be cleared for upgrades?

2. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agent was wrong. For sure you can clear one leg and not clear the other. Sounds like a lazy agent to me.
    Nothing much can be done now, except that you can officially complain to UA.

One option which many of us use is to take care of these issues as much as possible within the United Club. You would have had access to the club as you are 1K flying international.

chiedog, bmg42000 and sobore like this.
  3. brfong

brfong Silver Member

Status Points:
    If this was a front line agent, ask for his supervisor. Two problems solved.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most likely the issue was that the OP was booked on the direct flight - UA 116/117 - which is SIN-HKG-EWR as a direct flight rather than as two separate segments. In that case The agent actually has to split the flight into two segments to be able to upgrade just one of them. The agents can and should do this, but clearly this one didn't.

Sedosi, ssullivan and snod08 like this.
  5. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    ANA doesn't fly to ewr. Are you speaking of iad or jfk? Good to know in irrops with swu upgrades ANA is possible.

6. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    repeat after me, "may I speak with a supervisor please?"

cordray2643 likes this.
  7. chiedog

chiedog New Member

Status Points:
    yeah.. i should have done that.. oh well, flight was taken.. i was at the united club and they told me it was going to clear... and that i had to go to the gate.. i should have fought back harder.. i asked the agent to split the segments and he wouldn't.. just an ass..

ANA, i was booked to JFK from Narita on the way to new york.. but yeah.. they were so much nicer..

snod08 likes this.
  8. chiedog

chiedog New Member

Status Points:
    ANA didn't use my systemwide upgrade btw.. they had space and they just upgraded me.. their business class product is way better than united's.. everyone has an aisle seat.. 1 - 2 -1 configuration vs. 2-2-2 in UA's business class (continental business first) or 2 -4 -2 on those jumbo 747's..

9. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is great. Thanks for updating your data. So we have a clear picture.
    As Wandering Aramean suspected, your flight was a "direct flight" with stop in HKG....

10. chiedog

chiedog New Member

Status Points:
    so a "direct flight" with a stop in HKG won't be able to get upgraded? 2 years back with the old United, i used to have flights from ORD to SIN via HKG or Tokyo, and usually one of the legs would get upgraded and the other wasn't.. but the flight would show up as a direct flight from ORD to SIN, similar to what i had yesterday..

So now you're advising i should "break up" the flights in order to get a chance for an upgrade? Anyway, all these new rules, and the dilution of the 1K's really make me start to think if i should take the "status match" offer from American, or starting next year just start becoming an ANA mileage member or something.... i'm really sick of the excuses and bad attitude from US airlines that seems to get worse by the year.. Loyalty doesn't count anymore..

11. chiedog

chiedog New Member

Status Points:
    thanks for your help btw! really helps!

12. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, some of us in this forum avoid these "direct flights" like a plague. Some of us, have no choice other than to buy these "direct flights"...however, we immediately call and separate the segments....a good agent can do it...and it will cost you a few bucks in extra taxes for separating the segments.

13. vortix

vortix Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just curious...can you book the flight as a "multi-city" itinerary on .bomb to essentially break up the flight segments at time of purchase?

snod08 likes this.
  14. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can try that (unless the price changes with multi-city)...
    I think the upgrade instruments will probably work correctly too....(if you are lucky:D and the computer likes you)