United SWU upgrade

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by dogcrazy, Dec 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. dogcrazy
    Original Member

dogcrazy Silver Member

Status Points:
    if the UA systemwide upgrade did not clear for international but used for the domestic leg,
    will UA return the SWU back to the sponsor acct? or UA will consider the SWU upgrade
    is used.

2. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA will not. CO will.

3. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Both UA and CO will return the SWU. They are alligned now saying if the long over seas flight did not get UG'ed but the domestic legs did, then the SWU will get refunded back into the account it came from.
    You likely will have to call UA to get it back, but doesn't take long at all.
    John

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since when?

This would be a significant change in policy for UA and as of relatively recently they hadn't made it clear that was how they were operating.

5. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Been this way for some time now, UA just didn't do as good a job as CO in disseminating the revised policy.

6. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    And here I thought it was you who posted this a while ago :p

Upgrades will be redeposited if the long-haul international or BusinessFirst segment could not be upgraded
    Link (about 2/3 way down the page):
    http://mileageplusmergerupdates.com/en/mp/ForElites/RegionalandSWUpgrades

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess the past 3 months can count as "some time now" in this case. ;)

I dug up some other references to it changing around September. Good to know. I also find it interesting which policies the company chooses to align and when. I suppose this one is easy and doesn't require major systems changes so it is easy to do right for the customer without too much trouble.

HeathrowGuy and AZjohn like this.
  8. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing. That's a change I can like.

9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is, indeed, a great change, but beware...

I recently flew the following itinerary, using 1 SWU to try to upgrade all segments to NC:

PEK -> SFO -> JFK.

The UG for PEK -> SFO, which I wanted badly because the flight was more than 10hr long, did not clear, whereas that for SFO -> JFK did clear. I thought for a minute, after seeing this rule about "Upgrades will be redeposited if the long-haul international or BusinessFirst segment could not be upgraded", that the SWU should have been returned to me, but then I realized why it was not: The SFO -> JFK segment was a p.s. flight which must be upgraded using an upgrade instrument, and thus consumed the SWU.

Just something to keep in mind...

10. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    You could have told them to pull a CR1 for that segment and return you SWU. I have done this before with no issues (well, you need a CR1 to do it).

11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now that you mention it, I recall a UA customer representative automatically doing the CR1-for-SWU swap for me in the pre-UDU days, when all UGs had to be secured with miles, CR1 or SWU. I was doing NRT-SEA-IAD-LGA, and the NRT-SEA UG did not clear, so they redeposited the SWU and used a CR1 to upgrrade the domestic portion...

I do have 8 CR1s. I should have thought of it and contacted UA to see if they could use a CR1 this time instead of burning the SWU. I wonder whether it is too late (trip was on Nov 12), although the SWU would expire right after unless they can give it an extension as they sometimes have...

12. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Call them and ask, I bet they would do it for you ;)

13. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even before you said that, I had already decided that it was easy enough to find out. I just got off the phone with the 1K Desk. A regular customer support representative cannot do the swap, so I was transferred to a supervisor, who immediately agreed to do it. Then I asked her about extending it, and she said that at the end of each year, they receive some kind of code that allows them to selectively extend expiring SWUs for 1Ks who re-qualify. I do not know if the extension is automatic but I will call before this one expires to explicitly request an extension. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

UPDATE!
    I am not sure if it is on purpose or by accident, but the supervisor did not do a swap, as I had requested. She just redeposited the SWU without taking out a CR1! I will keep checking but it might be that she forgot that part of my trip included the p.s., which I should have let her find out rather than volunteering the information...

AZjohn likes this.
  14. ozstamps
    Original Member

ozstamps Silver Member

Status Points:
    They pulled a SWU for LAX-IAD-EZE each for us mid year.

The flight to Argy was aborted almost on landing by pilot due to the Chile volcano ash issue, so he turned plane back to DC ... 18 hours on 1 plane to get nowhere!

So they pulled a SWU for a flight we never took or got miles for!

A well earned Hotel sleep, courtesy United, then flew back the 10 hours (again!) to Buenos Aires and prayed the ash had gone away.

FIVE email in recent times to get them back have fallen on deaf ears.

15. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did they fly you in NC the next day? If so you're due no SWU back in my opinion. If not in NC then yes I'd say you should get your SWU back.