United: 'Subscriptions' offer a year's worth of fees

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by JoeCortez, Jun 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. JoeCortez

JoeCortez Silver Member

Status Points:
    So this is a thing now...
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/today...riptions-offer-a-years-worth-of-fees/2384803/

The bag thing seems so very...P.T. Barnum. I get the free checked bag with either 1) the MileagePlus Explorer Credit Card, or 2) *A Silver (A3 or Otherwise). Not to mention that MP Silvers can request E+ day of flight (though does that happen often?).

Is this actually going to be purchased by anyone?

Kalboz and Gargoyle like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gargoyle likes this.
  3. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even as Silver, I get E+ at D-24 quite often. I expect that might happen less if this thing actually takes off (which would further devalue Silver status--as if it could be devalued much more).

Kalboz, Gargoyle and KenInEscazu like this.
  4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Maybe they plan to eliminate this freebee for elites, and institute a tiered pricing structure.

goalie, southender and Captain Oveur like this.
  5. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    As ridiculous as it sounds, I wouldn't put it past them.

(and my 'like' for Gargoyle's post comes out of respect for his point, not an endorsement)

goalie and Gargoyle like this.
  6. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm only surprised DL didn't think of this "enhancement" first. :eek:

davef139, goalie and Captain Oveur like this.
  7. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    With the razor-thin margins that airlines generate, the only question in my mind is whether they will continue to escalate baggage fees (and I think it's only a matter of time before WN bites the bullet), or think of new fees to tack on. That's why, while unlikely, I wouldn't be too surprised if something close to what you described comes around.

8. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.businessweek.com/article...-rest-of-the-world-to-pay-for-checked-luggage

There's a chart with the above link that indicates a percentage increase in baggage fees for each carrier from 2007 to 2012. US had the biggest percentage change at 1761% while Delta had the biggest dollar amount in 2012 at $865 million, showing just how big these numbers can contribute to the bottom line. UA has some catching up to do as they were $150 million behind Delta last year. Maybe they'll pass them up this year.

Gargoyle likes this.
  9. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Low to mid-tier elites, which I truly believe are not going to be around within the next couple of years. Plat and 1K only with the rest being absorbed by the credit cards and programs like this.

Gargoyle likes this.
  10. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    It could be interesting if someone who is not a current UA passenger buys the E+ upgrade subscription based on the illustrations online. Particularly misleading is the one on the UA home page today. The legroom in that illustration is significantly more than we enjoy in F/BC, not to mention E+.

UA isnt alone in their misleading illustrations. I know that the AA depiction of their premium economy seating also portrays more space than that which actually exists.

E+ is definitely better than E, but it is not as big as the difference the airlines suggest when they are standing at their cash registers. Some law firm could hit it big representing a group of buyers feeling misled in a class action suit in the not too distant future.

estnet likes this.
  11. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sadder and sadder........:(

12. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Highly unlikely. Note the description United gives, "extra legroom." They're not promising any specifics (they used to say "up to an extra five inches"), and so long as they can prove it's even just a millimeter of "extra legroom" compared to E-, it's still "extra legroom."

13. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am no attorney. Just seem to be spending too much time around them lately. ;)

My point was (and is) that they are exaggerating the benefit beyond what I think is ethically reasonable, and it will certainly cause them a lot of complaints. Having an online business that sells products with very specific descriptions, explanation of tolerances, disclaimers that photos shown are just examples, etc., I know how many complaints we get from people not reading the not so fine print.

Most of us on this board know that there is nowhere near that much legroom in E+, so we are not going to be surprised or complain. Someone who just started traveling and thinks it would be nice to have all that extra space for just a few hundred bucks per year, OTOH... They are going to be in for a big surprise. Even more so if they get stuck on a CRJ700, where the E+ is worse than E on mainline. And even MORE so if their routes end up being on RJs that do not even have E+.

The misrepresentation, IMHO, just seems to be a bad business decision. I hate litigation. Was just making a point. It would not surprise me one bit, however, if some bunch of Bozos try it.