United Still Awarding Status if a Few Miles Short?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by gleff, Nov 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Say that someone ends the year at 99,986 miles (including having redeemed miles for eqm's). In recent years United would call it good with anything withint 500 or 1000 miles IIRC. But it's obviously not a published benefit, so I worry about relying on this prospectively.

Anyone know whether someone that's a few (literally like 14) miles short will make it?

Of course if there's any uncertainty at all it's worth hopping a flight. But I'd be curious if we know how they'd handle it for certain. ;)

hulagrrl210 and Kalboz like this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I guess buying a Continental.com refundable EWR-PHL one-way + elite maximizer would do the trick, right? ;)

Kalboz and chrislacey like this.
  3. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    ...was just going to suggest something similar ;)

Flyer1976 likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, buying the elite maximizer is the best way to guarantee it. You don't have to buy a refundable ticket so long as you cancel it within 24 hours. And you have to buy 500 because you get the elite minimums. Unless you haven't yet linked your accounts in which case your CO account will be non-elite and can buy the smaller number of miles.

chrislacey likes this.
  5. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    One thing I am learning is the the new United doesn't like to give anything away for free ;)

6. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would also suggest an audit of your account....did they properly credit all your segments?

Also, did you get cheated out of miles because of a VDB or involuntary reroute? MP usually gives credit for the longer segments if your request it.

chrislacey and cvsara like this.
  7. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Horrible way to spend redeemable miles but if you are desperate, unable to fly, and have a Chase United card you can get 1,000 EQMs for 10,000 miles, 2,000 for 20,000, etc up to 5000 EQM's

AZjohn and chrislacey like this.
  8. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think anyone knows for certain what UA will do. But I would caution that every year, along with the stories of people who got "rounded up" by a few hundred miles or more, there are stories from people who claim to have been within double digits and not gotten bumped up.

So either some of the stories are untrue or there's a more complicated system than just a blanket grace amount.

AZjohn and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    CO has acknowledged in the past that they used spend as a deciding factor in how they dealt with those "close" customers. If you were a relatively high spender at your tier level then you were much more likely to either be rounded up or be given the opportunity to pay some cash to get to that next tier. Either way, taking the risk out of the situation is a much smarter play.

TAHKUCT, AZjohn and gobluetwo like this.