United Standard Awards vs. CO EasyPass

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Seacarl, May 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the majority of my award use, I have used United, and to a lesser extent, Alaska. I have always appreciated United's "Standard Award" which gives last seat availability. Domestically it is 25,000 miles each way in coach and 50,000 each way in first (on 2-class aircraft), double the Saver award price, but you can get onto any flight and it is also easy to change flights.

Since CO has the same award price levels, I assumed the awards would function the same, but I definitely see flights that are available for purchase that don't show up when I do an award search, even under the EasyPass, which costs the same as United's Standard awards.

I haven't seen much discussion of this, nor what policies will be adopted by the merged airline - but I sure value the availability of United's standard awards.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are elite on CO you should have last seat availability. If you are not elite the inventory tracks similar to M in coach and to Z in F/BF. If you are not seeing it online I'd try calling first and if they still say no go then we might have to get some clarification on the policy to see if it has changed recently.

You still pay for changes based on the normal award rules.

3. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does it depend on status of the account holder or the person traveling? I think on UA elites (or 1K's) are exempt from change fees on awards - I certainly think I've been able to cancel awards without penalty, even if they were for others. How does it work on CO?

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The miles have the status, not the passenger.

5. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's probably the same. It's actually an interesting hybrid. I think the miles have the status for changes, cancel, etc. But the passenger has the status for Y+ seating, bag fees, etc. Meaning my 1K miles bestow neither free bags nor Y+ on the person getting my award - but if I travel on an award, or another elite passenger does, they get the benefits.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    On CO the elite benefits follow from the miles so when I booked an award for my non-status cousin he got EliteAccess, the baggage benefit and even managed to get in to the PClub on the international itinerary. CO acknowledges it as a "bug" that they didn't plan on investing time/money in fixing previously. Only time will tell what gets fixed going forward.

7. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does that mean if I get an award for someone, I can place them in ELR seats?

It works the same way on Alaska - when I use my elite miles, the person getting the award can assign elite seats, gets free bags, etc.

8. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I shall answer my own question. I was able to move the person to whom I gifted a CO trip into ELR seats without being asked to pay anything. I *like* that feature. Can I tell him he gets free bags, too?