United shines and shrivels during Nemo IRROPS

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Food Wine and Miles, Feb 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Food Wine and Miles

Food Wine and Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    On my way home to NYC from SAN right now, sitting on an Amtrak train from BWI. The story of how I found myself here is an interesting juxtaposition of great customer service from the 1K line, and really poor execution from a technology standpoint. So I decided to write a blog post about it :D

http://www.foodwineandmiles.com/2013/02/nemo-brings-out-best-and-worst-in-united.html

How's everyone else doing today? Anyone had exceptionally good or bad service from UA?

2. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So far, UA rebooked me for my Sat and Sun flights even though the "rules" only allowed me to change my Sat flight. I managed to avoid the East Coast entirely with the rebook. Now hopefully the flights will operate on time so that I can get to SEA on time tomorrow.

desamo and IDGflygirl like this.
  3. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    SFO is sending around 20 agents to help EWR. I will be one of those agents.

mtbroxs, Seacarl, COFlyerCLE and 13 others like this.
  4. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are awesome. I'll be attempting to get to BOS for a mileage run.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Friday night's EWR-IST cxld on Thursday around mid-day. Called in and the agent immediately offered LH as an option. I asked for TK so I'd get the non-stop. Took a bit of time with the agent on the phone to TK but confirmed without issue and ticket reissued while I was still on the phone. Friday morning the LH flights were all cxld but the OS flight to VIE was still on the schedule and left early enough that the snow would be lighter. Called again and in under a minute my reservation was changed, including the TK connection from VIE to IST. That agent forgot to ue the ticket so I called again an hour later and that agent pushed it through in a couple minutes.

The OS/LH staff at JFK last night were great, getting us on board early and out to the de-icing pad. Bit of a wait there - about an hour - but we still arrived in VIE more or less on time. I'm now in like to board my TK flight and should get to IST only about 4 hours later than originally booked.

Yeah, a bit annoying that the one agent forgot to queue the ticket for reissue but I know to keep track of that sort of thing in IRROPS.

And unlike you, I received the email from UA about 5 minutes after I received the email from Kayak, about 10 minutes after the cxl happened. Quite frankly, calling that a major failure of technology is an interesting take on the situation IMO.

mht_flyer and IDGflygirl like this.
  6. Food Wine and Miles

Status Points:
    Yes, I suppose the entire website could've crashed and all the phone lines could've gone down - that certainly would've been worse.

But I do think it was pretty sad that I didn't receive any notification from United until a day after my flights were canceled, after I should have already been at the airport, and after I'd already changed my itinerary. I have to imagine there were others impacted who didn't happen to check their own flight statuses before heading to the airport - and I'm guessing many of them are still waiting to get back home.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have very little sympathy for people in that situation. When pretty much everyone - media, airlines, etc. - is saying check before you go to the airport choosing not to do so is myopic and foolhardy. Even without proactive notification.

Don't get me wrong - I think the proactive is a good thing and I wish the UA system was better at it. But there is plenty of opportunity for people to take responsibility for themselves, too.

Counsellor, mht_flyer and IDGflygirl like this.
  8. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've checked twice this morning just in case.

mht_flyer likes this.
  9. Food Wine and Miles

Status Points:
    Yes and no - I agree that everyone should be proactive in these types of scenarios, but most other airlines were still showing as on schedule when UA started canceling everything into EWR and JFK, so at first, it wouldn't have been completely unreasonable to assume things were still okay in the absence of a notification.

Even after it became apparent that that wasn't the case, I would've expected the website to do a better job. I've used it before in these types of scenarios and it worked great - not sure what was going wrong over the past couple days.

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    But look at the bright side: at least you got to drive us to your blog to learn what actually happened ;)

11. Food Wine and Miles

Status Points:
    This is true - I might get a whole nickel's worth of ad revenue ;)

I think the brighter side was the fact that I was able to make it home Friday night - I'm sure there are plenty of people still stuck in the Northeast, or wishing they could get back to the Northeast today!

Captain Oveur likes this.
  12. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll give you credit though, as least you made it clear that it's your blog post. Some around here are shameless in trying to get clicks in threads they create or regular posts.

13. edcho

edcho Silver Member

Status Points:
    I flew more than I ever wanted with this storm. Was scheduled to fly out LGA-IAH-NRT-SIN. Was rerouted to the previous evening to LGA-ORD-IAH-NRT-SIN (had no idea ORD was being snowed upon though). Experienced a missed connection at IAH so was rerouted to IAH-ORD-HKG-SIN. 2 hour delay on the HKG-SIN route (due to a delay on the SFO-HKG route).

Gotta love storms...

14. Food Wine and Miles

Status Points:
    Oof that sucks. Did I follow along right that you had ORD-IAH-ORD in the middle of your trip?

15. edcho

edcho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup! LGA-ORD-IAH-ORD-HKG-SIN (originally LGA-IAH-NRT-SIN). As a FF-er though, I didn't mind the extra miles too much :).

bmg42000 and rggale like this.
  16. Food Wine and Miles

Status Points:
    Glass half full :)

17. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had SFO-LAS-SFO-IAH-BOS-IAH-LAX-LAS-SFO and it wound up being SFO-IAH-LAS-SFO.

18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Trip in vain isn't all bad, really, assuming they process it that way.

19. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, what are the pros and cons of that vs. ORC?

I'd rather have the miles than the refund as it's unlikely I'll be able to get another MR done as cheaply.

20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Officially ORC is not guaranteed and you're at the discretion of the agent you speak with. Good luck.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  21. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just wish the website was more robust so that I could handle re-booking my own travel without the need for a telephone agent.

22. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It can in some cases and not in others. And with inventory changing as quickly as it does in this sort of situation I'm not so sure it is really all that bad.

23. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    So what they said, which was interesting, that in the prior case where I got ORC, it's because they were able to get me to my destination. In this case, they were not, so they'd have to refund rather than give ORC.

So I'm down almost 5k PQMs and almost 7300 RDMs from where I planned to be, but I'll have the opportunity to rebook something soon.

On the other hand: surprise evening in Vegas.