United Seating Changes After Boarding Pass Assigned

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by flyforawg, Oct 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know if this is an ongoing issue with United? I have a flight today which had an aisle seat on an A320. In the United system online, the plane still shows as an A320, but my row is now gone and I have been reassigned to a middle seat. Is this common? What might cause this? Inquiring minds want to know.

SuperKirby likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are three A320 configs. I'm guessing you were booked in row 12 and the plane assigned to your flight doesn't offer such. Equipment swaps suck when this sort of thing happens to you.

3. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I once had this happen about 5 times on the same UA flight. Ended up having to swap with someone to sit with my kids.

rant-- This and the lack of prompt notification of schedule changes makes me laugh at the 'Friendly Skies' ads. Maybe they should focus on friendly reservations. \rant

4. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are correct. And this is 2 in a row for me. Last time was bumped from row 3 in a switch from 320 to 319.

No notification. Still have the mobile pass on phone for row 12.

If this is the way they handle their 1ks (doing status match right now), I'm probably going to go back to AA.

Crazy way to run an operation IMO.

SuperKirby and viguera like this.
  5. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had a seat reassignment thing on AA too, and I'm EXP with them.

I wouldn't let this kind of thing get to you, it's not worth something as drastic as changing allegiances.

SuperKirby and flyforawg like this.
  6. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    United's auto seat re-assignment leaves a ton to be desired. It just happened to me this past weekend. Was on a PDX-SEA flight which is operated with an EMB120 puddle jumper. Originally booked in 2A (bulkhead single seat) and then found I was auto re-assigned to 11B. 11B! That's the last row of the plane.

I moved myself to 2C which was still open without issue.

It appears that the auto seat re-assignment logic does not take into account a person's status so they won't auto re-assign you to a Preferred Seat. At least that's my experience every time this has happened, which thankfully isn't often for me.

-Rob

SuperKirby and flyforawg like this.
  7. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which is why I'll choose row 7C or D as my first choice* followed by exit row 21C or D as those seats don't change

*it used to be exit row as my first choice but with rumors out there that the newly configured Airbusses having less room in this row than before, I'm not gonna chance it as to which config I get

SuperKirby, kiwi and flyforawg like this.
  8. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sage advice. Don't like making rash decisions based on a couple of bad experiences.

Used to fly United about a decade ago. Stopped flying for work regularly and when resumed a couple of years ago ended up going with American. Moved and am now at a United hub and figured would match them for the better route network out of this location and in preparation for some potential bad times ahead with the impending merger. Sort of hedging the bets. I'm torn right now though. AA over dozens of flights, including all the pilot actions last year took good care of me. So far United is dropping the ball. There are other issues I've experienced beyond these seat issues that I won't go into here. Either way I should be well positioned next year as at least Platinum on UA and possibly Platinum on AA (at least gold). Flight patterns this year weren't enough to get me EXP again even if I kept my travel solely with AA.
    Great advice. Will keep that in mind and check my upcoming flights to make sure I'm not in rows that they will take away. Would really like to hear someone from United explain why they do this and what drives the decision. I like to understand and be informed. Don't like it when the employees have no clue or treat me like it's none of my business.

Thanks to all for the feedback. Excellent information and stories.

SuperKirby likes this.
  9. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does this only happen on the airbii?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  10. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's a great question. My experiences only involved airbus. FA told me they have multiple configurations. Since I have an upcoming 737-800 in Row 12 I'm concerned, but will have to keep an eye open as there are no other aisle seats at the moment in E+. At least there are 12 seats in F. That is until they swap it out for an A319. :eek:

SuperKirby likes this.
  11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There are several different 737 configs, too, but usually they don't swap last minute between the 73G/738/739 so it isn't too risky. Never say never, of course, but it isn't all that common (on either type).

SuperKirby, Flyer1976 and flyforawg like this.
  12. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    More likely on the 73X variants you'll find equipment swaps that don't change seats but amenities at seats. e.g. Lack of e+ outside exit rows, no DirecTV, etc.

SuperKirby and Wandering Aramean like this.
  13. jonk
    Original Member

jonk Silver Member

Status Points:
    additional data point: i'm not going to pretend to know all the different configs of the 772 but i got moved from an E+ aisle to an E+ middle IAD-DXB this past february, so it can happen on widebodies too, although i'm not going to speculate on whether this was due to an equipment change or some other factor.

(when boarding, the scanner beeped and i was handed a new boarding pass with the middle seat.)

flyforawg likes this.
  14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There used to be three different long-haul 777 configs, two of which are 3-cabin and one of which is 2-cabin. The 3-cabin planes are used on the DXB route and it is possible that back in February a swap between old and new 772s caused that. Today there are only two 772 configs flying long-haul, one each of 2-cabin and 3-cabin so such changes should be less common.

jonk likes this.
  15. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've had my fair share of bad service on UA over the past two years. And, while I'm sure this will jinx me, I've never had a problem with a seat change. And, fly a LOT of scAirbuses. As noted above by others, I wouldn't let a seat assignment issue change your allegiances. They're bound to happen everywhere. That being said, I agree that things similar to the issue are not generally strengths of the new UA.