United raises general member club fee to 550.00 // discounts changes 8/18

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by mht_flyer, Jun 11, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    United club rate raised to 550.00.

In addition no more spouse discount rate.

As of August 18 no more discount for gold or silver also plat rate goes to 500.00.

At least 1k rate stays at 450.00

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/airport/lounge/rates.aspx

With all these improvements one has to ask, does the soup du jour ever change or is it only going to be vegetable forever?

Weatherboy, 8MiHi and Newscience like this.
  2. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Soup of the day the same soup every day.

image.jpg

ssullivan, 8MiHi and Newscience like this.
  3. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    United Club card seems like a great deal at $395 now.

Gtitan, NYCUA1K, 8MiHi and 6 others like this.
  4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    So what is possibly left for United Airlines to increase? :eek:

mht_flyer likes this.
  5. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    The miles that can be used are up as well.
    "The discounts for some MileagePlus Premier members will change effective August 18, 2015. Pricing for Premier members as of that date will be: Premier Silver and Premier Gold - $550/70,000 award miles ($1,100/140,000 miles with spouse), Premier Platinum - $500/65,000 miles ($1,050/135,000 miles with spouse), and Premier 1K - $450/60,000 miles ($1,000/130,000 miles with spouse)."

Newscience likes this.
  6. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Guess they have to pay (you pay) for all that delicious new swill at the UC

7. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    No more spousal benefit, another change we will like. It appears the Club card is the best value for Club access.

8. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    A more reasonably-sized image would be much more forum-friendly.

mht_flyer and Bay Pisco Shark like this.
  9. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    It seems likely that Club card products will see a price increase in the next year...or Chase's subsidy will have to increase.

10. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    But there's no better way to display the cornucopia of gor-may, for the bounty that that the former Red Carpet Club will lavish upon all of its visitors in the days and years to come.

mht_flyer likes this.
  11. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Priceless.:D

mht_flyer likes this.
  12. stephenbgarvan

stephenbgarvan Silver Member

Status Points:
    h
    hmmm so why cant MM keep 3 bag allowance domestically? Lower Club renewal rate? after all we are more than just Gold-we each flew at least million miles BIS . There IS a difference.Still very loyal but challenged at times.

13. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    20 years ago the clubs were generally uncrowded. Today they are overstuffed all too often. Raising the price reduces the membership, crowding and improves the bottom line.
    As someone with a lifetime membership, my interests align with raising the price enough to lower the attendance. So I would be in favor of giving MilePoint members a big break while making it exorbitantly expensive for everyone else.
    As Groucho said Any club that would have me as a member I don't want any part of.

14. Desidivo

Desidivo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also have the lifetime membership and use it but not enough to justify $550 a year. If you saved an average of $20 on food and drinks every time you use it, you would need to go 27 times a year. There are other benefits but they are a bit harder to quantify. Also my company will not reimburse club membership thus it would be out of my pocket. I can see the value for those use it much more often. The most value I get is on international trips.

stephenbgarvan and 8MiHi like this.
  15. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't ever had the 'club' card, so not much of a concern to me, and I'm sure many others.
    With the Explorer card giving 2 club passes a year with that card helps control club visits. I 'lost' my Gold status with UA, when that darn boss of mine, didn't send me to enough conventions, and seminars this past year, so now no status, so not that much of a need for the club. But with that said, it is nice to go there, where it is relatively quiet, and more relaxed, than sitting 2 to 5 hours in the main terminal. B/T October and the first of March, I'll need 10 passes to avoid sitting in the main terminal. eBay has these cards, as well as the AA cards on the auction block, in abundance. Usually $10 to $20 gets a one time pass. For us, non-elites, (sigh) that's a no brainer.

stephenbgarvan and 8MiHi like this.
  16. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is always Priority Pass. Not a great answer as United appears to have kicked them out completely. With their network of lounges it could work with some planning as they are not always convenient to UAL gates. I have Priority Pass Select through my Amex Platinum Business Card (it's included). I have found it to be fairly convenient to many other airlines' gates. They do charge $27 per guest.

stephenbgarvan likes this.
  17. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My hunch is that increasing the rates would not have a significant effect on the crowd. I bet only 20% of those in the lounge at any one time are card-carrying UC members. The bulk are those on international flights with Gold status on a *A carrier. --At least that is probably the case for the lounges in the major 'gateway' cities.

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  18. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you said only 20% paid directly for their UC membership, I could see that. Most of the people I have discussed this with in the club have gotten it through a credit card.
    I do agree that there appears to be a significant increase in travelers who are likely to have gained entry through *A or Global First travel. All of my travel originates at EWR which may have a different UC population than gateways such as SFO, ORD and IAH.

19. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I, for one am one of the free loaders. I decided that if I purchased membership I would spend even more time in the airports and UC's than I do already. My 6 to 8 UC visits are conjunction with my INT flugs (some with longer layovers to get better seats or pricing), with an additional 1 to 2 with day passes (when stranded due to IRROPs).

trobb49 likes this.
  20. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    If I ran the clubs and they were always full, I'd raise prices too. I'd be ashamed of the product I was offering as well, but that's an entirely different story.

Dublin_rfk, flyforawg, Gtitan and 3 others like this.
  21. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly.

There's a certain price elasticity to this kind of product. Many/most visitors to the club either do not care for reasons not limited to one or more of the following reasons:
    • Company pays (and company doesn't care because they want their people to be able to work in a comfortable place with power outlets)
    • "I'm in le club sipping champagne and soup du jour away from the plebians." type attitude
    • People who travel frequently enough to justify. I.e. traveling ~50x a year where you can bring the unit cost down to a point where you're saving money based on the products/services offered. You don't have to drink too many well drinks in the club to meet the $450 or $550.
    If they jumped the price to $1000 or something completely noncompetitive, companies would scrutinize their spending, the social climbers would run out of rungs on their ladders, and the unit cost for frequent visitors would no longer be able to be rationalized.

I wouldn't be ashamed of the product that UA offers. They're being completely reasonable business people, because people are still paying and business is still good for them in the Club. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

IDGflygirl and Steve GadFly like this.
  22. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    At some point it will make sense for me to just get day passes in the event that I need help with my itin. I do realize that on a bad day with lots of IRROPS, many others may have the same idea and I may be denied entry due to capacity issues. I have high status, but don't get it by flying very often; I only do a few long and expensive flights per year.

Dublin_rfk and 8MiHi like this.
  23. DrinkingCoffee

DrinkingCoffee Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is the number one reason that I have a card- a couple of times a year, I have been saved by the front desk at the club because of IRROPS. Now I will have to weigh exactly how much those "saves" are worth to me.

8MiHi likes this.
  24. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Think of the soup du jour choice as if you are participating in a Groundhog Day reprise. ;). It's new every day. :D

As a long time lifetime member, I knew that the $900 I was spending for the lounge access was a low risk gamble. However, when I bought my wife's lifetime membership for 2.5x that amount, I wasn't as sure.
    However, true to my trust in UA, they proved their mettle (and my pessimism) with this increase.:rolleyes:

Finally, just remember that a single trip may include visits to 2 or 3 different UC's, especially if you are making connections. So the cost per visit may actually be lower than what was calculated above.;)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    IDGflygirl likes this.
  25. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Club membership is expensive insurance if you fly only a few times a year. I made it to MM without ever needing the UC people to help me (I did call the 1K line a few times, and once I worked with the regular customer service people in DEN).