United pulling IAD<->GRU route

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Garp74, Apr 13, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Standing at IAD and chatting with the GA. He's the same GA who handled my 4-hour delay to GRU a few weeks ago that took off after 2am. He says he was hoping to go to the World Cup, but UA has informed the IAD staff that they're permanently pulling the GRU route.

Odd timing, with World Cup coming. And my flights to and from were pretty full.

Newscience likes this.
  2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would be extremely surprised if they pulled it so soon before the World Cup considering the IAD flights have a tag on to GIG.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is on the schedule still at least through October.

The tag flight is going away now that they can route passengers to GIG via IAH; UA didn't have nonstop service there from the USA prior to the merger.

Garp74 and LETTERBOY like this.
  4. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I trust WA more than I trust a UA GA, though this guy is nice.

What's a tag flight?

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another name for a route operated beyond a typical hub-spoke destination by a traditional network carrier. In this case UA is not permitted to sell seats on the GRU-GIG segment alone; they must be part of an onward itinerary. The Brazilian government allows the flight in that manner because it doesn't really compete with their local companies.

There are also 5th Freedom and 8th Freedom routes (this is arguably an 8th freedom route but without local traffic rights) which can be interesting/different options for short hops. Things like AC flying EZE-SCL or BKK-HKG on a variety of airlines are common examples of 5th Freedom routes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedoms_of_the_air

And the GA is correct that part of the route is being cancelled; might just be a bit of confusion there on exactly what is changing. Or the change really is happening (I HIGHLY doubt it) and just hasn't been announced yet.

Garp74 and LETTERBOY like this.