United ps service downgrade JFK-LAX, 8PM ( BusinessFAUX)

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by meFIRST, May 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    It appears that the dinner service, which used to be provided on this flight is now gone. UA matched AA, which removed the dinner service on flights after 8PM. For the longest time, well, almost two years +, UA served dinner on ps flights after 8PM. This matched Delta and AA at the time.

Interestingly enough, Delta still serves dinner on JFK-LAX ( at 9PM!
    I am still waiting to see if Jet Blue will offer dinner on Mint flights after 8PM.

For people who are regulars on this route such as myself, this is absolutely horrible. NY-LA people work later and often have later schedules ( SFO has no 8PM flight), so this flight would get me a full day in the NY office and dinner on the plane.

The 5:00PM flight is horribly timed. Trying to get to JFK circa 3PM-4PM is a PITA. 8PM allowed me to go back to my apartment, pack and head to LA at around 6-7PM, after the traffic has cleared..

The only plus side I see is UA has also matched AA's lower fares. A race to the bottom !

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you contact the airline to express your concern and tell them you'd move your business elsewhere as a result of this decision on their part?

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since food to be consumed on board can be carried on in addition to regular carry-on allowance, perhaps get a dozen happy meals and hand them out onboard to hungry travelers. Be sure to post video footage on Youtube.

Dad to GO and Counsellor like this.
  4. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    3 words : United doesn't care

webdes03, LIH Prem and goalie like this.
  5. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Followed by 4 words: it's all Jeffed Up

6. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    When did they serve full meals? I remember that for a while they were only serving the cold plate on that flight. I take it about 8 times a year (the 8:25 p.m. flight)

7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That glass is half full: Grab yourself a burger, and enjoy the lower fare...

8. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    p.s is the only ( was) the only route in the United States that served full dinner after 8PM. 2012-2014, following Delta's move.
    This was recinded a few weeks ago.

9. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I appreciate the heads up. Just in case I am ever on this flight, this is great to know. No matter what the UA site may say, I would be thinking it was an error if it said anything other than "Dinner" on a flight of that length.

8:25 isn't exactly bedtime for most people, and as meFIRST posted, I'm sure many people are finishing their day and rushing to the airport with the idea that they will be fed on a flight of that length. Shame on any airline that doesn't offer to feed feed their passengers on a flight of that distance. This is especially true of a PS designated flight. It's supposed to be a step up in every manner, and it is during the day, IME.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  10. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK, I thought it was a new thing - adding dinner probably didn't generate incremental revenue to justify the added expense.

I typically just pick up something at the terminal, then sleep on the flight, because arrival at midnight and a wake up call at 5 a.m. doesn't really make for enough sleep in Los Angeles.

11. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Delta apparently thinks it does. Their flight leaves much later than UA. 9PM. Full dinner.

The food at Terminal 7 JFK is kind of awful, save for the BA Concorde Room ( which doesn't apply here) . There's this new Italian place that opened across from gate 7 and 8 where the ps flights depart from, still bearing the ps insignia and United tulip.

And they dare call it BusinessFirst ...... ( BusinessFaux would be more appropriate) For upgraders ( and there are always those people) there is no difference flying from JFK or EWR for the 8PM flight, save for the flat bed seat. The differentiator used to be dinner, which in my mind, made the extra expense worth it.

I can understand a red eye from SF and LA to JFK, that leaves at 10PM ish. But 8PM snack service for LA people? Really?

Hmm.....I'm avoiding this flight. Give and take away. UA can expect incremental revenue from me for fall further.

On other UA flights that don't serve food, I did BOB from coach, while seated in Domestic First. Sometimes they would comp me ( not expecting that) but its sort of a gray area of whether this is allowed or not.

KenInEscazu likes this.
  12. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    They do the same thing on the flights between BOG and IAH, even though some of the flights are on 738s and have no meal service, PLUS require a GPU for an upgrade. Seth says I'm wrong, but I'm not, when I say that I read a comment from a UA suit who credited the layflat seats for the change away from CPU/RPU availability northern South America to North America. I'm not going to waste my time looking for the quote to prove myself correct. I read it. I didn't dream it. At least I can fly Copa in many cases to avoid that, or book a connection through PTY instead.

Edit: spell correction

13. FlyerChrisK

FlyerChrisK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Airline food isn't actually that good! Spending a few hundred dollars to go to a lie-flat seat seems like a far better value than going from a snack to a three-course "meal."

eponymous_coward likes this.
  14. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you care enough to act? Or just enough to complain here but not change your actions?

15. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I won't book the 8pm , I think I've mentioned that

I will be the first one to say food served on a plane is awful, but dinner on the 8pm met a need. Food at t7 is awful , I think because there is only one us domestic carrier operating out of there

I stopped caring a few years ago.

16. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    In general, I agree with you. On my one PS flight this month, however, a 10:30ish am departure from JFK, the beef tenderloin was very good. The food I receive on Copa is always something I actually look forward to, but domestic carriers are always just a means to an end - satisfying my hunger. That PS lunch was a memorable exception worthy of mention here.

17. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    To give up to a likely scheduling convenience and the now lower fare for "awful" food seems to me like the proverbial throwing out the baby with the bath water. It would not take much at all to hop on that plane with your own food. With very little planning, you could even make it a filet mignon from your favorite restaurant.

Garp74 likes this.
  18. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm with NYCUA1K here. If the 8pm fits your work and life schedule ... isn't that the most important factor?

KenInEscazu likes this.
  19. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    My comments above don't mean that I wouldn't book the flight if it met my scheduling needs, but I still think it's a pretty poor way to treat some of their best customers on a flight that is supposed to be better than conventional domestic in every way. The added time required to pick up something to bring with me can be a definite minus when I'm in a hurry.

20. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew the 8:30pm flight in March. Listed as snack but got a great dinner. Has anyone actually flown this flight recently and got "snack" service instead of dinner? The FAs and checkin staff at JFK all confirmed that a full meal was onboard and that the snack was a mistake.

21. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not feel your pain on this because I consider it a non-issue; a tempest in teapot. It is airplane food we are talking about! How can not having that "awful" food -- which I often do not eat when offered, especially when they run out of my first selection -- be such a negative as to make a big fuss when the schedule and price are right? Like I said, with little planning one could hop on that plane with a filet mignon. In leisure time go online and find a place near you that can deliver the steak to your office or home, nicely wrapped to keep it warm, so that all you do is to take it with you on the plane and eat it whenever you feel like it. The FA might even warm it up for you...;)

22. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that what the FA said may be strictly true only for BF:

P.S. Experience in:

BF
    • Printed menus on breakfast, lunch and dinner flights
    • Multi-course meals on most flights
    Economy
    • Fresh food options (including our breakfast or lunch/dinner menu) are available for purchase on flights departing prior to 8 p.m.
    It seems clear to me that one needs to be in BF for any kind of free hot meal.

**I'd initially quoted the wrong post in this response.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  23. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Wolfgang Puck Express is decent, as is Todd English's restaurant. I don't think either qualify as "awful."

IDGflygirl likes this.
  24. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is ps meal service different from the F meal service on the transcons?

25. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think they've aligned the EWR-LAX and JFK-LAX meals to be the same.