United policy for global premier upgrades

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by maromero02, Mar 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. maromero02

maromero02 Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm a Premier 1K member.. previously an executive platinum... Is it me or are other people not happy with the way united treats their top tier elite members?? I think people should start complaining about this maybe we will see some results and see more fares available to upgrade with global premier upg!

stephenbgarvan likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    What specifically is your concern?

(my trip later this month has been upgraded with GPUs where possible)

snod08, LETTERBOY, Scottrick and 2 others like this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. Blanket complaints about anything are seldom credible or productive. Some specificity could do a lot more good. The OP apparently has trouble with upgrades. That is not something I am not likely to join in deploring at this juncture because, to date, I have used two GPUs for int'l travel upgrades, and 3 of 4 segments ( two on the 787-8 & two on the p.s.) cleared instantly, with the fourth clearing just a few days later. I've used 4 RPUs to date to upgrade or sponsor upgrades in Region 1 and all but 1 segment out of about a dozen cleared, most at booking. Not.too.shabby. in the upgrades department...

8MiHi, LETTERBOY and Flying Machine like this.
  4. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    People have been clamoring for years to get the W or greater fare necessity nixed from the requirements. If it didn't happen under Tilton what makes you think $MI/J gives a rat's behind?

5. FortFun
    Original Member

FortFun Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I am not convinced that it would be in my own best interest.

My six GPUs are just about enough for my TPAC/TATL trips each year (eight would be better). So far they have all cleared eventually when I requested an upgrade. If the fare class restriction were dropped, I would save money , but wouldn't I also compete with more people who are currently not willing to play what they call the GPU lottery? A cheaper ticket with the GPU not clearing is not necessary better than a W fare with the GPU clearing if sitting up front is my goal :)

meFIRST, 8MiHi, IDGflygirl and 4 others like this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be careful what you ask for because you might get it. What you are asking for would, without any doubt, dilute the value of the GPU...in fact, it might make it worthless.

8. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree and as long as your SWU's are clearing, life is good!

Just remember there are pax that felt the same way until all of a sudden one leg over the Atlantic didn't clear after spending the extra money. Then 2 times in a row no UG on a W fare. Then on the 3rd time they didn't clear they happen to run into some friends on the flight (sitting up front) that explain about the ToD's that they were offered on their L fares :oops:

Anyways, just enjoy the SWU UG's while your getting them

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sure, I have heard (but not seen in person) those stories. It's a moot point, ultimately, for me anyway as I expect to drop to Platinum after this year. So I might be the one with ToD upgrade sitting up front next year :)

AZjohn likes this.
  10. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh don't get me wrong. Once I learned about the rules changing I find a new way to play the game. If ToD's is the new rule, I can play also and that way I don't have to play the W fare and SWU waitlist part.

I personally haven't been offered any ToD's myself for a couple of reasons. I'm just burning miles now to sit up front (there are a lot more I/O inventory then there is R). And once I burn thought the miles next year I will be a GM and then I can get the real good ToD's :)

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I got a ToD offer last year. Interestingly, I was actually waitlisted for a mileage-based upgrade that hadn't cleared yet, and accepting the ToD meant that I paid $150 more than the co-pay and saved the 30,000 miles. Needless to say it took me about 1/10 of a second to click the Accept button ;) (if anyone here was waitlisted with a GPU on that flight... sorry :D)

12. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    If this were true, wouldn't we expect the value of AA's international upgrade instruments to be extremely low? And yet my experience (which is a few years old) and reports from AA elites are exactly the opposite.

13. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not at all familiar with the dAArk side's upgrade system nor am I with how satisfied AA elites are with it, but today I just searched for tickets for a planned pure MR to EZE on UA, and found G tickets for ~US$1,200 while W tickets, the lowest cost SWUable fare, would cost ~US$1,800, and it gave me pause. At this point, I am leaning toward just going with the G fare and flying in E+ because I cannot psych myself up to part company with the SWUs on a trip that is really pure MR. The reason for my hesitancy? The added cost. It should be clear that If am deterred from going for the GPU because of fare difference, there will be a slight decrease in the competition, and improved prospect for someone else to clear their SWU. Repeat that a few times and upgrade clearance chances improve all around

14. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wasn't aware that was my stated position so how can you be so sure?

The argument for waiving the fare class necessity is that, barring R at booking, it's highly unlikely a G (or K) fare will get the nod from the waitlist. And I can see some logic in this.

15. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    In context "you" meant "anyone" among the people who "have been clamoring for years to get the W or greater fare necessity nixed from the requirements"
    Q.E.D. ;) ... well, just partially.

16. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well then, that's different. :D

17. maromero02

maromero02 Active Member

Status Points:
    I became 1K with a status match and my first trip NY to ANC was upgraded rountrip.. What I'm talking about is the fare type you can use your GPU.. On AA if you are executive platinum you can use the vip upgrades no matter what fare type your ticket is...

18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Different airline programs have different features and benefits. You need to pick what works best for you. If you look at AA, perhaps you'll find something that isn't quite as good (for you) as with UA. And if you don't and overall AA is the better program for you, then my suggestion is to go with them.

In an ideal world I'd love

- UA's route network
    - Delta's EQM rollover
    - AA's eight eVIPs and rules
    - VX domestic first class seats
    - LH's senator lounges everywhere
    - most people flying WN so I don't have to compete with them for those benefits

;)

19. maromero02

maromero02 Active Member

Status Points:
    Sorry guys if I didn't make my self clear on my initial post..

I was a top elite on AA (ExecPlat) for several years..
    By far AA to my opinion an many others, AA have or had the best elite program in the industry. My point is that with AA you fly 100k miles and you get *EIGHT* systemwide upgrades (united gives you 6 GPU) with American you DONT have to get this or that fare. No matter what fare you purchase your ticket is eligible for upgrade. American upgrades you on their transcontinental flts, united doesn't...

I switched to United because AA is canceling their non stops NY- Dominican Republic, which is a very important route to me. Other flights I'm usually on are NY- California, NY- Hawaii and NY to China where united rule on these routes. However the glitches on the upgrading system I think are not customer friendly on united.. If you are upgrading on AA the most miles are 25k to either Asia, Europe or South America with a co pay of only $350.. United is a lot more miles and money....ALL IM SAYING is that united should adjust a little their co pay prices and upgrade rules....

I made the change and I'm happy with it.. Looking forward to my upcoming trips on united...
    I'm loyal to whatever airline I choose to fly. For me united is my number one now, however having flown premium and as a top elite member on both airlines I don't think united is better than American specially when it comes to treating their elite members (dont want to get started on the caos flying first on a recent united flt ANC- DEN, from check in to security to boarding to flying with a tired crew who had just flown the previous DEN-ANC, and to top it off was a red eye) ... LETS NOT mix our feelings on the management of these airlines because that's a WHOLE new topic.. Lets just focus on the subject which is elite status and upgrade rules......

stephenbgarvan and IDGflygirl like this.
  20. maromero02

maromero02 Active Member

Status Points:
    In the end you are right... Different things for different people.... However things like DL rollover, or LH lounges or VX first class seats are things that I don't need. Just give me a nice network, the appropriate or better said fair upgrade system and the treatment I deserve as a passenger that flies 100K miles a year and I'm happy.... ;)

21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    For me the most important thing is probably the route network. Because if the airline I want to upgrade on doesn't actually fly where I want or need to ... well, that upgrade certificate is rather useless to me then, no matter what the fare rules are ;)

Of course if the fare rules are too strict (I am looking at you, Delta), I might not be happy either. UA is by no means perfect, but it seems to roughly meet my requirements.

22. maromero02

maromero02 Active Member

Status Points:
    Lol i agree with you on that ( and yes DL is the worst) when it comes to systemwide upgrades...

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  23. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hahaha this is so good & deadon. Except soon to change for transcons, I am about to try out the new UA CO-style lieflats next Tuesday LAX-JFK. That will certainly beat VX.

And totally agree about AA's SWU rules. Tried to use a GPU a couple of weeks ago PEK-SFO to upgrade from C to F and they said that my fare didn't qualify. #%#@.

SFOPeter

24. xerinax

xerinax Active Member

Status Points:
    I completely agree with the OP more than 1 year later, and based on experience since then as 1K attempting to use certificates. I have a 50% clear rate. The way United treats its top tier fliers with this GPU lottery is ethically wrong. United should be happy that we choose to fly with them and welcome any business from someone who flies upwards of 100K miles and spends > 10K PQD. The comments on Delta's system are no longer accurate - there are no fare class requirements, and reports from other threads comment on more favorable availability.

Though some of you have posted favorable experiences with the certificates with United, this does not apply to all international segments at all times. Do a systemwide fare search for upgrade availability at booking and you'll invariably find that the availability on any given day is terrible. Take this real example - I am currently planning LAX-NRT. There are no days in October with R available. I have spent hours upon hours searching, but no luck. The lowest avail fare is K, which is $650 cheaper than the W. The K carries a child discount for our 2, which then is $750 cheaper than W. I need to pay $2800 more for a family of 4 to play the lottery, and hope that I pick the correct day where R space will open up. The amount of searching and anticipating or flexibility needed in travel days is nothing short of ridiculous. We have better things to do than troll for the upgrade space.

The W class requirement is not what is broken about this system. The upgrade inventory space availability is all that is broken. The only change that is necessary here is a reconfiguring of fare buckets into which upgrade certificates can clear. GPUs, and GPUs only, i.e. not mileage upgrades, should clear into a much more readily available class such as ZN (standard mileage award - non elite). That would immediately fix this ridiculous system. The only thing we can do is email them repeatedly - only with a critical volume might they even consider acting upon it. If United has too many 1K members to offer this, then maybe United doesn't deserve our loyalty.

25. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you point me to the many INTL legs you took where your GPU didn't clear and seats in GF were empty (not the blocked seats for crew)? Inventory becomes available as market conditions for that ticket allow. If your GPU doesn't clear, it means revenue was generated for that seat, or other elites were in front of you (like those flying full-fare J and higher priority elites like Global Services). If you think that's "wrong", then I don't know what to tell ya :)

nychotpilot likes this.