United Pilot Accidentally Deploys Emergency Chute

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Infinite1K, Aug 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another incident involving United. This time the flight attendant was having a difficult time closing the door on United 856, a Boeing 757 departing Seattle for Newark and got the captain involved. The captain accidentally causes the emergency slide to deploy :eek:

The flight took off after a incurring a 2+ hour delay to replace the slide pack.

http://overheadbin.nbcnews.com/_new...er-pilot-accidentally-deploys-emergency-chute

sobore, marcwint55, Gargoyle and 2 others like this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Guess he opened the door after cross-check? Strange that the slide would be armed before the door was closed.

3. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder why the gate agent wasn't closing the door? That's our job on the 757s, to both open and close the door on this aircraft type. I will say that this door is heavy and sometimes a b!tch to get closed if you don't swing it closed correctly while turning the handle.

4. Olton Hall
    Original Member

Olton Hall Gold Member

Status Points:
    He must have opened it after the boarding bridge was pulled backed. FA trainers in IAH said that if deployed with jet bridge at door the slide deploys mostly in the plane and wipes out the galley.

5. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any photos of that? :D

jbcarioca, tjtenor4, rggale and 3 others like this.
  6. Olton Hall
    Original Member

Olton Hall Gold Member

Status Points:
    No. I was told because of a deployment CO added the orange strap across the door window when the slide is engaged so that GA and catering people can tell from the outside that it's armed and to not open the door.

IDGflygirl and jbcarioca like this.
  7. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    they could have at least pretended it was a mega-do and let the passengers slide down

jbcarioca, viguera and Infinite1K like this.
  8. anthstr

anthstr Silver Member

Status Points:
    On some planes ( I believe including the 777), when opened from the outside, the slide automatically disengages if armed.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. myskyconnections

myskyconnections Active Member

Status Points:
    at least it shows us that some safety features work - unfortunately maybe at the wrong time and place :)

10. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    On the 757, full size door (1LR/2LR/4LR) slides will automatically disarm if the handle is turned from the outside. Sounds like this mishap occurred on the inside.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. anthstr

anthstr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good to know - I wasn't sure about any other 7X7 series.

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    Back in the late 80's, CO inherited a few 747's from the purchase of People's Express. In meeting one of these planes the chute pack fell off the door onto the jetway...can we say whoopsie:oops:. We called our mechanics and they just shook their heads in laughter and attempted to remove it from the jetway via the opposite side onto the catering truck. Yep the chute blew and all you could see was it exiting the other door right into the empty catering truck. Our mechanics knew the chute would probably deploy so they were ready as they could be but it still scared the crap out of them.

13. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I actually still have an old VHS tape, inside the cockpit of 747 flights - filmed on PeopleExpress! I think I got it for my birthday sometime around 1990 or so.

desamo and jbcarioca like this.
  14. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should definitely get that converted to a digital format and upload it to share with the rest of us. :D