United Passenger Logs 10 Million Miles

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Len Williams, Jul 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Len Williams
    Original Member

Len Williams Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Thanks for the link! Several Milepoint members were there in Chicago yesterday for the celebration. Funny thing about the article, the very first word is wrong. His name is Tom, not Ryan :)

Jubileesmom, Gargoyle and jbcarioca like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is really funny! It is curious, however, when thinking about the lead up threads to this, how many of us are far above those miles, but not with just one airline. Realistically I do not think my loyalty ever would be to one company alone.

i rather suspect, you, gleff, must be at that level or above?

Jubileesmom likes this.
  4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Not even close. Tom Stuker's 10 million are butt-in-seat miles. I'm only 15 years out of college, and my first few years I thought I was pretty hot stuff to be hitting United Premier, and I thought I was Clooney when I first hit Premier Executive in 2000...! (Remember, even in Up in the Air, Vera Farmiga was only doing 60k miles a year)

So I'm really far from 10 million actual flown miles.

Now, earned miles in an account? I'm well over that mark. And Clooney was earning his 10mm from all sources. ;)

Not exclusively or even largely for myself, but through one day's activity I once generated ~ 18 million miles... Christmas Day 2009 was hugely productive (miles all posted the same day around end of March 2010 IIRC).

And for other people I have redeemed over 100 million miles.

5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is still quite impressive. I thought I had hit the jackpot, for sad reasons both, when i was making several trips each week all over the US between September 15 and end-December of taht year and had triple miles plus bonuses. Then when the SARS epidemic hit I was commuting every single week from MIA to ICN. That generated even more of those bonuses. Thus I accumulates lots of BIS but much more account miles and EQM.

Some weeks ago my nephew, my perpetual travel record-keeper, calculated that I had more than 15 million lifetime actual miles. He used my file of expense reports that dated to 1973 to do that, so it excluded quite extensive travel earlier (I had lived in Japan, Hong Kong, Philippines, US and Thailand before then and traveled constantly even as a child). I have no idea at all how many total miles I accumulated except at Swiss (+3mm), PanAm(+3mm) and AA(7.7mm). Then I have never calculated the miles I flew myself, (and those were definitely BIS!) which included several intercontinental and innumerable transcontinental trips.

Recently on a flight ATL-GIG I met a FA with whom I had flown many times on the former PA 82/83 JFK-NCE (now DL with same numbers). She was speaking with two other passengers who'd been flying that same old route. One of them claimed 20 million BIS miles over 50 years of flying for work as a banker.

So, I wonder who has the most miles. All the threads here and elsewhere seem to be mostly with people who have done all their flying since FF programs. They all seem to be involved with FF BB's, if not milepoint. What about all those old road warriors who are still doing it?

6. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my experience, in subjects where I have direct knowledge, the media gets like 1/3 of the facts wrong. That's worth remembering when we read articles about subjects where we don't have direct knowledge.

7. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now that's a story I'd like to hear about...

8. Len Williams
    Original Member

Len Williams Silver Member

Status Points:
    Second!

MSPeconomist likes this.
  9. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Fair enough, and I'm happy to tell it. But today and this thread are for Tom Stuker and for United Airlines and his accomplishment is far more impressive than any of mine are or ever will be...

10. Jubileesmom
    Original Member

Jubileesmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's for sure, and well, if you or someone has the $$$ to cover the costs? Go for it. Whatever floats your boat. I'll never get anywhere close, if I wanted to or not. And well, it's not as easy as one might think either. You do what you have to do, when you have to do it. If you want to do it just for fun and can afford it? Yay.

11. flamingo

flamingo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Third:)

12. marathon man
    Original Member

marathon man Silver Member

Status Points:
    geesh imagine if this bloke forgets to do activity for an 18 month period on UA! They would take those miles right back haha

13. samh004
    Original Member

samh004 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, nice job by him. I can only dream of such amazing service… at this stage. Cool video too, despite it being 2 years old.

14. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    sobore and legalalien like this.
  15. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
  16. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I feel bad for this guy...what a bad part of life. I know he says he loves to fly, I do too, but THAT much time tells me it's time for a job change.

17. marathon man
    Original Member

marathon man Silver Member

Status Points:
    He must like the food

18. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pictures from Tom's 10MM flight and post-flight event in ORD: http://bit.ly/Stuker

Tom is a great guy and UA put on a very nice event for him. It was nice of Tom to share all that with some of us.

-David