United partnership with middle east carriers

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by UA/Travel_!_Junky, Aug 26, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. UA/Travel_!_Junky

UA/Travel_!_Junky Active Member

Status Points:
    Don't know if this has ever been brought up but is United ever going to partner with 1 of the big 3 gulf carriers? I mean AA is doing so why can't we? Would love to try out their first class product with miles without having to pay craaaa$$$$$$$zzzzyyyyyy amounts of money to try it out. Any input on the subject feel free to comment. And have any of you guys tried the big 3's product?

Newscience likes this.
  2. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lufthansa and Singapore would be... unamused. Oneworld is a much weaker alliance on that score (more flexibility to have partnerships like QF-EK, EY-AA).

But you don't seriously think that QR or EY is going to partner with BOTH AA AND UA, do you? And as for EK...

Stock up on AS miles. ;)

Newscience likes this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm surprised that EY isn't buddies with DL ... but choose AA instead.

Also wasnt UA & EK buddies up until a few years ago?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    Newscience likes this.
  4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    And OW is so much weaker than *A in contiguous travel from the US to much of Europe (other than LHR, CDG, MAD). I had to travel from Europe to the Mideast last year, and the AA itinerary included a return to the US to do that! :mad:

Garp74 likes this.
  5. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reminds me of the early days of IPv6 routing on the internet.

When you sit at your laptop and go to www.milepoint.com, the packets of data are sent via the most direct route between the network you're connected on, and the server where milepoint is hosted. The router literally calculates how to get from point A to point B in the fastest possible manner, and then sends the packets along that route.

Many years ago, early adopters were turning on networks that also supported IPv6. Those packets, however, were subject to bugs in the routers that caused a packet going from, say, New York City to Washington DC to route via ... London. Or more typically, London to Tel Aviv via Los Angeles.

Newscience likes this.
  6. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup, UA and EK had a partnership a few years ago.

Flyer1976 and edekba like this.
  7. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    As did CO and EK. UA also had a partnership with QR.

Flyer1976 and edekba like this.
  8. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sadly I only got to fly QR once on DAR-DOH but I was impressed for their A320s. :cool:

9. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm working on a long document (how to get to Helsinki from anywhere for a convention bid). I was surprised to discover that none of the middle eastern carriers fly to Finland.

Sadly, I had to cancel my QR segment booked before the UA/QR partnership ended, so I've never flown them (or EK or EY).