UNITED p.s is now a tired product

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by meFIRST, Apr 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I fly JFK-LAX (or a combination of EWR/JFK-LAX) on a regular basis. On today's flight, the seat (footrest) would not extend. A piece of plastic from the seat came off. The leather looks worn.
    The toilets are nasty.

While this was quite nice circa 2004 when the product first started (anyone remember the belinni's and pre arrival snack?). The planes need a complete retrofit, or to be replaced.

Service wise the product has improved. I particularly like the hot scones pre arrival, as well as the pre arrival oj and coffee. The 8pm flights now include dinner, the pathetic snack plate is gone. By 8pm I am usually hungry, its nice to be able to take the last flight and eat on the plane. (and arrive in LA not hungry)

Service ok. Hardware awful.

There was talk to redo the hardware yes? Or was it just "talk"

2. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    New product rolling out this summer. Will turn into 2 cabin* and replaces J/F with the current gen sCO 752 fully flat seat up-front.

(not counting E+ as a distinct cabin)

3. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a plan to replace the F and C cabins on those aircraft with the 757 lie-flat BusinessFirst seat that's currently on the sCO 757-200 fleet. I don't know what the timeline is for completion on that project, but new seats are coming to the premium cabin (which will just be one, not two) on the ps fleet.

genemk2 and Flyer1976 like this.
  4. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since the configuration will be all-new and the entire interior will be replaced, it takes a lot of time to source the hardware, get a LOPA certified, plan for the reconfiguration, and actually carry out the work.

Without a doubt, the hard product will be the best available in the JFK-LAX/SFO market by a considerable margin, but I can't wait to hear the flood of posts bemoaning the loss of First... ;)

5. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The BF lie-flats are a much nicer product than the existing First Class, IMO -- angled lie-flat isn't as comfortable. I wonder if they will extend the privilege of using the Int'l First Lounge to all BF customers, or get rid of that privilege entirely (I think you also got to use the arrivals lounge if you were in PS First).

meFIRST and desamo like this.
  6. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought that was just for global first these days.

genemk2 likes this.
  7. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I remember hearing rumors that the IFL at JFK would be removed as part of a major renovation that would result in a much larger UC. The only news on the lounge front I've heard since was reported by Seth (http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewa...ttlebutt-from-united-operations-at-laguardia/) that LGA would be expanded with a new post-security entrance.

desamo and genemk2 like this.
  8. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    IFL was available to me on two PS First flights I took in January and February. Might have changed since then though.

desamo likes this.
  9. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    we are but a few months away from threads saying Hey Jeff bring back those old PS planes, reason since most people sit in C or F using their Miles or CR1s (RPU) once they bring on those CO seats and cut 16 setas , getting an UP will be just as hard as its been on EWR-LAX/SFO those extra 16 seats makes a world of a difference between sitting in Y or Not

Yea they are old but Id rather be flying in C on it then in Y on the reconfiged plane, and Y is gonna be E- & E+ so book late and enjoy E-

10. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought they were cutting them by 12 seats (from 12 + 26 to 26), not 16 seats.

11. AA_EXP09

AA_EXP09 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could join our Flagship product JFK-LAX/SFO. I liked it when I flew on it.

sobore likes this.
  12. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not flying on the airline that basically bailed from my city, sorry. Right now, VX has more gates at SFO than AA.

I'm sure it's a very nice flight, but I want to reward the company that's actually strong here.

unavaca likes this.
  13. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Those that know me, know I wont ever do that. I would rather walk to LA / Not go, than fly trAAsh.

I have done DL as a backup a few times. That's a nice product. Not so crazy on the italian menu though...

VX is nice too. And since they don't upgrade cheap coach passengers, the Business cabin is not usually full. For mile / reward purposes I prefer UA obviously.

14. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    2 years ago I was in first on ps and the seats were nasty and parts were held together with duct tape - color me unimpressed.

15. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    PS bailed on me last week. Replaced with a regular 757. Only benefit, they let me into the F lounge at JFK since my seat was now F instead of C. Good steak dinner on the 8:25p though. Looking forward to the new product though.

16. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget how many fewer Y seats there are on a PS flight than on anything else that is comparable. The ratio is just staggering when you consider it. That helps to contribute to the fact that you can get upgraded as much as the fact that there are more seats in the front of the plane. You have less possible competition (even though some days it still feels like there is plenty ;)).

17. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think p.s will have 25 business class seats, not 16. That's been discussed before

18. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also discussed elsewhere is the fact that the conversions haven't even started yet, so it's unlikely to show up this summer. Get used to still being on those ps 757's for a while -- unless, as has been happening lately, they are swapped for really tired non-ps standard 757s.

19. Scott Schmidt

Scott Schmidt Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you've been on an old-school 777, you are aware that maintenance is deferred as these birds prepare to go in for conversion.

After flying PMCO BF for the first time last week, I mist say that I prefer the New United International C hard product... But that may be a personal preference.

20. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe VX does allow 6-hour upgrades to their J/F product though for a fee both online and at the airport.

21. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    could be Im off in my #s but cutting they will do! :-(

that said now UA has 12 FC and CO has 16 BF in the same area (front of plane L1 door to L2 door) since they cant move the Exits or window exits.I take it they will make the area from L2 door to the 1st window exit behind row 8 as the other FC area and then from what is Row9 now back being divided into E+ and E-

either way, there will be alot less non Y seats which will make it alot harder to score the UP and alot longer sitting on the Waitist hoping it clears, I can forsee alot more day of and airport clearing once theres a # of the new configs in the air, as CO wont wnat to turn away a last min high fare tkt purchase

22. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still, it'll be more than enough for their paying premium customers plus some lucky upgrades.

23. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Per UA Insider, formerly scott, p.s will have 26 Business Class, (CO style) flat bed seats. This will be g-d send for red eyes. See that other site for details.

16 seats is not enough, even if they did not allow upgrades (of any kind). 26 is about right, but that should piss off the pass riders, I'm sure.

Coach (Economy Plus) as I understand it, will start where row 9 is now. Row 9 lovers are bound to be sad, personally I could not care for it.

desamo likes this.
  24. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    dont see how 12 less seats on the red-eyes at least out of LAX is any good. The studios can fill them up very fast as they need to get their guests into NYC to be live on the morning shows. If you think its almost impossible for a 2P-1P to clear now with 36 seats it aint gonna get any better.I think even a 1K chances will be close to what a 2P is today

I just hope they make E+ 36" rather then the 34" it is now

adambadam likes this.
  25. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I meant the flat bed (for red eyes). People who want a lazy boy should fly AA