United orders blended winglets for 767-300ER

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Infinite1K, Jun 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    tjtenor4 likes this.
  2. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    For those who don't know the difference (like me), this is a blended winglet:
    [​IMG]

and this is a wingtip fence:
    [​IMG]

3. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Random trivia:
    Boeings get Winglets, while Airbuses get 'Sharklets.' Don't confuse a Sharklet with a fence, because its not. its actually a winglet.
    Both the A380 wingtip fences and the A230 Sharklets are made by Aviation Partners Boeing. I'm not sure about other Airbus Aircraft.

Back on topic, this does make a lot of sense for what they use these aircraft for. They may be heavier to get off the ground, but once cruising these things save a lot of fuel.

4. I wonder how many years it takes to payback the investment?

5. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    We saw them on installation process at the delta mega DO in october. The rule of thumb is that the plane has to be 3.5+ hours in the air to get even on the weight for takeoff, and longer than that is saving (on operating cost). Installation cost in the case of DL seems to vary alot by specific plane and type/time of installation. Each windglet requires adjustment inside the wing, and it also puts the plane out of service. If done during regular maintenance... saving is higher

why fly likes this.
  6. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Worth noting that the A320 Sharklets are not yet in service. The standard wingtip fences on the A320-200 are not sharklets.

DeacFlyer1 likes this.