United offer to purchase PQMs?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by KRLFLyer, Dec 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. KRLFLyer

KRLFLyer New Member

Status Points:
    Hi, I'm 4k short for Gold status in 2014. I was looking at buying a ticket with the accelerator and then getting a refund on the ticket or doing a short one day trip tomorrow (which sounds too crazy), but I've also heard that sometimes United will offer a promotion to purchase PQMs at the end of December or early January and they would go towards 2013. Is anyone aware of a current promotion or know of one coming up?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can definitely buy PQMs now if you want to. You purchase a ticket then go in to the reservation and there will be an option called Award Accelerator. In there you can buy RDMs and PQMs. It is not cheap. Once you buy the miles you cancel/refund the underlying ticket (within 24 hours it is free) and just pay for the miles. That's the only way to guarantee that you can get it.

Otherwise you can hope you get an offer in January for retroactive credit but no one knows whether that will be offered or what the price will be.

ffitalia and 8MiHi like this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It looks like the cost for Premier Accelerator Miles (PAMs) has now jumped to $0.183/mile, as expected this time of the year. That is the rate that I am being offered to purchase 30K PAMs (HKG-JFK), meaning that the rate may be higher for just 4K miles. In any case, the OP will have to part with at least $700. Is Premier Gold worth it? It would be worth it for me just to get *G status; then you throw in 50% bonus RDM, baggage allowance and E+ and I would definitely go for it...

8MiHi likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    8MiHi and NYCUA1K like this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd forgotten about that thread in which someone had even beaten your rate of 27 cents by 8 cents, i.e., 35 cents per PAM! If that is what the OP is offered, s/he'd part company with $1,400, which would be worth it only if one is planning to do quite a bit of traveling...

8MiHi likes this.