United, not always horribel to Golds!

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by spaced2, Sep 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. spaced2
    Original Member

spaced2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So there's a lot of flack going around, likely because people like to complain about things that dissatisfy them more than talk about things that made their day. United did me right, so figured I'd share.

I've had a verrrry long standing award reservation that's essentially a RTW cobbled together from OW and *A carriers. I'm hitting CX, QF, Thai in first and LX/LH in business. Originally my big issue was getting back to the U.S. from Israel, and as those of you who watch that route know, while award space is totally available on *a partners at ungodly departure times (6am...), the direct flight is very hard to come by.

I thought i managed to find a way out - originally booked TLV - IST - EWR on Turkish and UA. Had a reasonable 11:00am departure time, didn't mind the stopover, waitlisted on the direct just in case. Great. Until United moved the departure time of the IST-EWR flight a couple hours ahead. This obviously caused a misconnect.

I've been mulling how to address over the last couple days without touching my itinerary on the UA website. Maybe stopover in london on the way back? Maybe take the painful 6am early flight out and go through FRA?

This afternoon I got a call from UA letting me know they were able to take me off the waitlist for one of the direct flights. I checked last night and again today, and I don't think that space was made available to people looking to book a new reservation...so kudos to UA for handling the misconnect with class.

ducster, Flyer1976, sobore and 3 others like this.
  2. spaced2
    Original Member

spaced2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    ...now if i can only learn to spell horribel.

ducster, Sunshine7, Flyer1976 and 6 others like this.
  3. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to hear. Things are not as horrible as they were there for a while. I just had a very nice experience to/from IAH/SJU over the weekend, and I'm just a Silver elite. Upgrades cleared both ways, no problem with checked bags, decent businessfirst meal on the return trip (cheese ravioli w/spicy tomato sauce.), friendly gate agents and flight crews, etc.

Heck, the Jeff Smisek portion of the welcome video was even shorter, and they didn't show his smiling face.

That RIGHT THERE was an improvement.

As a large company they'll never do everything right, but they do seem to be getting to a point where the basics are returning to normal. Now if they can just learn to respond better when things go pear shaped........

4. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought that was teh right way to spell it.

ducster and hulagrrl210 like this.
  5. spaced2
    Original Member

spaced2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    i kan haz propur spelling, rly.

8MiHi, Flyer1976 and desamo like this.
  6. spaced2
    Original Member

spaced2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    for what its worth, my situation was one where the pear was sliced in half, and they turned it into an apple.

that was a horrible horribel attempt at metaphor.