United MP Select CC question

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by bernalscott, Nov 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. bernalscott

bernalscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm about 4200 PQM short of reaching MP Gold status. Other than an end of the year mileage run, can I buy United gift certificates on my MP Select CC to take advantage of the 5000 PQM/yr for United purchases? Obviously I could then use the GC over the next year for future United flights...

Any other options other than SIB flying? I guess I could use the award accelerator for my last scheduled United flight at the end of the year to try and "buy" up some PQMs but I suspect that it will be cost-prohibitive....

thanks for any assistance...

2. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    First, are you sure you haven't already used up that allowance? Look at your PQM history, and see if it all adds up. It would be a whole bunch of un-fun to spend the money only to find it did no good.

Other options: buy premier accelerator (and, by implication, award accelerator). If you do this on a refundable ticket, the accelerator purchases stick even after you refund the ticket.

3. DrinkingCoffee

DrinkingCoffee Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay, I am sorry for the stupid question, but what is the 5000 PQM/yr for United purchases allowance? Would a MP Club card qualify?

Thank you for any insight.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    No. 1 EQM (now PQM) per dollar of united.com spend capped at 5,000 PQM per year is a benefit of two older United Chase VISA cards that haven't been available for years. The Club card doesn't have that feature.

DrinkingCoffee likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Based on other threads here, 4200 PAMs wold likely be in the mega-ouch price range this time of the year and unlikely to be worth it for Gold status.

6. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have one of them. It was called the United Select Visa Card. That 5,000 PQM was handy, before the days of PQD.

Gtitan and traveltoomuch like this.