United MP first bag free but only with same itinerary ?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by nolamom, Mar 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. nolamom

nolamom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Going to CUN in April. I booked my daughters (and my own flight) and paid for both on my Chase MP (then OP) card.

Two different itineraries - me from LAX - IAH, she from MSY-IAH. Then from IAH, we fly together (hurrah) from IAH-CUN.

Is there any way I can get her first bag free or is UA firm about the "same itinerary" business.

And, if she does have to pay the $25/bag will she have an option to do that online pre-airport or does it have to be at the airport?

[I realize my bag should be free, at least that is what the promotional material say.]

P.S. Three nights free @ Hyatt Cancun thanks to Chase Sapphire Card!

2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    The bigger issue is that you are meeting up at IAH. She will not be able to get a free bag from MSY to IAH because you aren't there when she checks in. She will be able to pay online (I think there may be a discount for paying in advance) or at the airport. It's a separate transaction so she can use her own card or ask for your info.

If she is already going to pay for MSY-IAH, then that will include IAH-CUN. If for some reason she wants to carry on from MSY to IAH and then have you check her bag for free at IAH on to CUN, that might be difficult if you've already checked your own bag. I'm not sure. I think this situation would just confuse an agent.

As for whether people can extend the free checked bag benefit to people on separate itineraries, that's a different question. I am elite and have always been able to extend my baggage benefit to people traveling on the same plane if not on the same reservation (PNR). But it must be for the whole trip. My fiancee and I were connecting in IAH once and then going separate ways, and they said "no." For the credit card benefit, I think they would probably follow the same rules, but I'm not sure. Sometimes they bend the rules for elites.

3. nolamom

nolamom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for this detailed, and thoughtful, answer. In talking to the Chase folks (not MP) they indicated those were the rules, that our *entire* itinerary must be identical.

As you note, it makes more sense for her to pay and check back through to CUN.

Good news that paying online will give her a discount. Anyone else confirm the pre-pay online discount for one bag?

4. nolamom

nolamom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I must remember to always check the fine print. We are each just taking one bag!

"Between the U.S. and Mexico/Central America: First checked bag $0, second checked bag $40"

desamo and chrislacey like this.