United MP CC For Last minute milerun?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by bananajax, Nov 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. bananajax

bananajax Silver Member

Status Points:
    Currently *A Gold at about 61k for the year. I was going to try and do a milerun to hit 75k but Im considering the CC because I wont have the time to get the trips in. Although the miles dont post until I spend $1000 and they dont post for 6-8 weeks, anyway around this? More importantly will it get me 50k miles bringing me up to 1K before end of year?

I thought I read something that the miles wont give you status past gold, but i could be making that up.

Thanks everyone!

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm CC bonus points are RDM not EQM thus you won't get bumped up to anything.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is at least one card which will give you PQMs based on spend but that spend cannot bring you up past Platinum status.

The bonus miles you are looking at for getting the card are just award miles and won't help you at all. Fly the mileage runs or you won't have the status.

bananajax and daemon14 like this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    All the miles earned with Chase cards, including sign up bonuses, enter into the MileagePlus Choices program, meaning that they can be converted to PQMs @1K PQM/10K miles.
    However, the program is capped @ 50K miles and thus will be able to generate only 5K PQM/yr. Therefore, this would have worked only if the OP were at 70K PQMs and needed just 5K PQMs to make Prem Plat.

bananajax likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It is not clear if Choices PQMs count towards 1K or not; I haven't seen anything which says they do not.

I was specifically referring to the FlexPQMs which come from the older version of the Club card and which can be used to hit up to Platinum but not 1K or above. Those FlexPQMs are not capped with any annual accrual limits.

6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Choices program PQMs do count toward achieving status at any level, including 1K, but the maximum number that can be derived through the program is 5K PQM/5 PQS. This is a pre-merger UA program that was transferred unchanged.

There was a discussion recently about FlexPQM and the consensus was that those miles cannot be used to get status beyond Platinum. So, they would work for the OP to reach Platinum but not 1K

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I know. I said that. Twice.

8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Once: you did not name the program the first time so it was not clear which program you were referring to. The real question, however, was whether the Choices program PQM can get one to 1K and the answer is yes.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Actually, the real question is if the sign-up bonus points would get the OP to 1K and the answer was a resounding no. ;)

10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given that the OP is not even close to having the PQMs needed for 1K, it is not a question at all that the sign up bonus would not help. ;)

However, it must be clarified and then stressed that had the OP been at 95K PQMs, s/he could have converted up to 50K sign up bonus miles thru the Choices program to get the 5K PQMs needed to reach 1K. This is NOT doable with FlexPQMs...;)

bananajax likes this.
  11. bananajax

bananajax Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks for the replies everyone, thats what i was afraid of.