United miles JFK/BKK

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by cindyc710, Nov 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. cindyc710

cindyc710 Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi. I am planning a trip for 2 next November to bangkok and have plenty of miles to book economy. I would like to try to get enough miles (240,000) to fly business class. I already have a united card, chase ink and chase sapphire and have gotten all these sign up bonuses. How can I get the other 59,000 miles in time to book the trip. Thanks for any advice.

Cindy

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are aiming for 240K UA miles to fly 2 in biz to BKK next November, you will need to "lock in" that rate by booking before Feb 1, 2014 because after that the new UA award charts will go into effect and you will need 20K more UA miles/person to redeem for SE Asia. This means that you have roughly 3 months to come up with the 59K miles that you still need for this redemption. The quickest and more economical way to come up with these miles, IMHO, is to purchase them directly from UA, who are having a holiday sale of their miles for 25% off until Dec 31, 2013. At that rate, 59K miles will cost you $1,665 or $0.028/mile, which is a bargain compared to what it would cost to purchase two C tickets to BKK with hard currency. Also, supposing that you could find another credit card that offered a sign up bonus of 60K UA miles, it is unlikely that the minimum spend will be less than $1,665 in 3 months. Buying the miles at 25% off is also about as well as you would do with award accelerators but it is a "cleaner" way to go about it...

Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Accellerator is still showing ~2.3cpm for me. I'd save the 20% if I were going to pursue that plan. Well worth the couple extra clicks for a few hundred dollars IMO.

dstober likes this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Accelerators tend to vary. The last time I had checked they were running for exactly 2.8 cpm. I just checked now and they are also 2.3 cpm for me if I purchase 45K miles on my SIN-JFK return trip. So, definitely, if the OP can dummy-book a trip that gets her the 60K miles at 2.3 cpm, she'd save ~$300. So, good point.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
    dstober likes this.
  5. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you considered flying UA one-way, and http://www.oneworld.com/ on the return? I'm not sure of the current various bonus offers from AA (for example), but it's something to consider.

dh

6. dewster1967

dewster1967 New Member

Status Points:
    United announced earlier this week it was removing NRT_BKK because of low profit yield. Though loads are heavy, revenue and competition have forced them to "reallocate" this equipment to more profitable routes. UA is referring future NRT_BKK to ANA. They did not comment on exact date of route termination. How this may affect your plans, I'm not sure, but it is something you may want to look into.