United MileagePlus Explorer - 10k bonus after spending 25k - Question

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by knick1959, Aug 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. knick1959

knick1959 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Continental OnePass version of this card was my first mileage card ... going on 2 years ago now. My wife also got the card shortly after me, so we both benefited from the original signup bonus. Since we flew Continental almost always, as they had the best selection of Non-Stops available from Cleveland, we also paid the fees for the second year to save on baggage (although we really only needed the one card). While United doesn't offer the same huge advantages for folks in CLE, there still are some.

Last year we did both qualify for the extra 10k mile bonus, as we both managed to put 25k on our cards. This was difficult and required most of our real spending be put on these cards. This is now our second year, and I'm trying to figure out how they detemine "a year" for the 25k spending. Does anyone know?

I read the terms, once. It said "in a calendar year", I think. I was awarded a bonus in Oct, which could have been calendar year OR anniverary, as my card renewed in Sept and I spent enough by then to qualify nomatter how you count it. We calculated my wife's totals and pushed up one large spend to make sure she qualified. It appeared we somehow missed the mark, as we saw no bonus points at the end of the year. Her anniversary date was Oct or Nov; don't recall.

In March, her bonus showed up. And I'm not sure why it was March.

This year is coming to an end, and with both of us getting other cards and spending to meet requirements, reaching $25k will be even more challenging this year. It would help with planning if I knew how they actually counted "a year". Another technicality: is spending date determined by the statement date, or the actual transaction date for each purchase. I'd love for both of us to again get the bonus this year; we may have to settle for one next year (more cards to get!).

Has anyone studied this enough that they KNOW how it works? Thanks in advance.

2. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here are the terms from the offer. Hope it helps some. It doesn't answer all your questions, but it does confirm calendar year.

I think I am also about to hit the mark for this year, but doubt I will do it again next year. Hope the info helps some!

As a one-time bonus each Calendar Year, once you reach $25,000 or more in Net Purchases you will receive 10,000 bonus miles. (For your first year as a cardmember, "Calendar Year" means the period beginning with your enrollment date through December 31st of that same year). Please allow 4 to 6 weeks after the billing cycle in which you will qualify for bonus miles to post to your MileagePlus account. There is no maximum number of miles that you can accumulate in the program. You do not earn miles on balance transfers, cash advances, cash-like charges such as travelers checks, foreign currency, and money orders, any checks that are used to access your account, overdraft advances, interest, unauthorized or fraudulent charges, or fees of any kind, including fees for products that protect or insure the balances of your account. See Rewards Program Rules and Regulations, which will be mailed after your account is established.

3. knick1959

knick1959 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. That actually makes sense now ... although I don't recall seeing that exact text when I looked myself. But what you posted fits well into what happened. I reached 25k early, so I got the bonus early. It took both of us until year's end to reach 25k on the other card, and that posted on her first statement AFTER the 6 weeks waiting period. Total sense, although March seemed to be pretty late on first thought.

Now to update my spreadsheet and let it figure out all of the gozintas.

Thanks again!

4. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just went into the current offer sign-up offer/application page and looked at the terms. March does seem a bit late, but totally possible if the statement with the last December purchases closed in mid/late January and then six weeks later it posted in March.

I remember mine going more quickly than that, but I guess still within their terms. ;) I need to do the same calculations in the near future to see how close we are as well. Glad it helped!