United mileage run

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by jgg630, Oct 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got back from an aborted mileage run due to no flight crew. I had iah-phx-lax-ewr-bdl-ord-iah. I used 25,000 miles to upgrade 4 of the 6 segments to FC. Flew FC from Iah-Phx, no problem. Flew USAir from Phx to LAX, no problem. Here comes the problem. As we land at LAX, I get an alert from Tripit that LAX-EWR has been cancelled. After 1.5 hr wait finally get to customer service agent. They put us in hotel and rebook everything but EWR-BDL, instead going EWR-ORD. Ok, I just lost one segment. I'm still booked in FC for my 3 remaining segments. 2 am get alert from Tripit. New flight to EWR cancelled. 3:00am, get alert from Tripit, EWR-ORD cancelled. 5:00am, alert from Tripit, rebooked on direct flight LAX-Iah. FFirst problem, I paid for 6 segments and got 3. Second problem, no FC. Third problem, I am now about 3800 miles short of gold. All of these problems were crew related none were weather related.

Questions-do I have a right to ask for voucher for the 3 segments I didn't get to take and now must figure out another way to get my miles? Secondly, do I have a right to ask for miles to be reported since I paid 25,000 miles and flew FC 1 out of 4 segments was supposed to.

I was so excited to hit gold but now will have to figure something else out.

Thanks.

Jett Rink likes this.
  2. HouseofV

HouseofV Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ask for you original routing credit. You had stuff to do in EWR/BDL. You couldn't make it.

The least they can do is give you the mileage of your original booking. The least.

hulagrrl210 and viguera like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    While they are not obligate to give it to you they likely will give the original routing credit if you call and ask.

Once they cancelled the trip to the east coast you probably should have tried to invoke "trip in vain" and have them send you home, refunding the fare. I do think that you should be able to get a decent chunk of the miles back since you only flew one way in F.

4. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it too late to claim trip in vain. I really just wanted to get somewhere, anywhere after only a few hours sleep and with the number of flights cancelled the lines were horrendous.

5. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd contact Mileage Plus and ask for your miles a ticketed. I've always been successful taking that route unless it was a VDB, which in your case it wasn't. Usually if the change of schedule is their fault, even if they book you on another carrier, they'll give you the miles. For what it's worth, you might want to contact customer relations as well. I doubt you'll hear back this year, but they should give you a nice e-cert based on your status and the "inconvenience".

8MiHi likes this.
  6. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where are you at now, you can maybe still claim, you probably will find a bit of leanancy with agents due to the massive irrops. Trip in vain can just be rebooked instead of a refund, and it has to be the same routing from what I was told 3/3 when I invoked. They wouldn't rebooke me direct a month later vs a connection. Also for trip in vain don't complete your coupon as it makes it allot harder for them to rebook if you don't want the refund.

7. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wanted to let everyone know how this worked out for me. I was finally able to contact customer service today and get the PQMs that I had booked but was told that they do not give partial credit of miles back for partial upgrades. Even though I had used miles for upgrade to FC, since I was upgraded to FC from Houston to Phoenix that counted as if I were upgraded the entire trip. At least I got my miles. Thanks to everyone for your help.

8MiHi likes this.
  8. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would you have used the 25,000 miles for a one-segment upgrade? I know I wouldn't - certainly not for IAH-PHX, and I would have a big problem with that. I don't think that they even charge 25,000 miles for a domestic one-way upgrade. You seem content, and I'm not wanting to stir up any trouble, but that doesn't sound like a just conclusion to me.

9. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    No I wouldn't have used the miles for a 1 segment upgrade but yesterday I decided to pick my battle and at the time it was getting my miles credited in order to reach Gold status. Living in IAH territory this is very important. I will write a letter for the miles credit but agent was adamant that they don't do this.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone that has gotten this to work and how.

10. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Miles posted but not as PQMs. Is this correct? Do I need to call and get this straightened out?

11. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok they have now all posted as PQMs. I guess it was taking its time to post.

8MiHi and Wandering Aramean like this.