United Mileage Plus multi-city pricing single segment pricing

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by alx603, Aug 4, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. alx603

alx603 New Member

Status Points:
    If booking a multi city itinerary on United Mileage Plus, it prices each segment differently. For example for Ethiopia Air,segment 1 (ADD - LLI) is priced 8,800, segment 2 (LLI - GDQ) is priced 17,500, segment 3 (GDQ - ADD) is priced 8,800. With the 24 hour free cancellation is it allowed to book this multi city itinerary and then cancel only segment 2, the most expensive one, since the cash price is much cheaper for LLI - GDQ? If I try just the segment 1 and segment 3 the entire pricing structure changes, and not to my benefit. Thanks very much.

2. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So where you're unclear on rules, you pretty much always want to call up and ask the United staff what the rules are. In all cases, if you book an itinerary, and fail to fly a segment in the middle, the rest of the itinerary cancels. But you're asking about "cancelling" a middle segment before the trip starts, which I'm 99% certain the system won't let you do.

Have you considered booking each segment individually, so booking ADD-LLI then booking GDQ-ADD and seeing what the price would be?

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    While those numbers don't make a ton of sense to me my guess is that the system is trying to predict what the total price will be for a multi-city award based on where the stopover is and the info can be confusing. But the price for that trip should be 35k total, either with the 3rd segment or without, under the current rules. If you book then call to drop a segment that won't matter because it will be the same price.

When the new rules take effect on 6 October it will price as 17,500 per segment. In that scenario dropping the extra segment would make a difference.

But don't trust the numbers on a multi-city booking until you get to the end.

Garp74 likes this.
  4. alx603

alx603 New Member

Status Points:
    I suspected this to be the case. Thank you all for the answers.