United Mileage Plus Club Card

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by healinginfluence, Aug 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. healinginfluence

healinginfluence Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am new here and learning how to get miles and benefits. I now have the Mileage Plus Explorer and am considering upgrading to the MileagePlus Explorer card. Do folks here think the benefits are worth the cost - $395. Do you really get better access to award flights? Also 1.5 points per dollar charged and club access.

SuperKirby likes this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    You probably meant 'upgrading to the UA MP Club card'. Not worth it unless you are on the road a lot...

SuperKirby, 8MiHi and pyndasky like this.
  3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Club card is good if you you'll use the lounge, not just as a place to relax between flights but for rebooking and other issues. You get to book award flights without any last-minute booking fees, but availability is not actually better. You have to be a top elite to get access to that (Plat or 1K). You also have the potential to earn an upgrade on an award flight, but only after other elites within your tier have been upgraded on paid tickets. The 1.5 points is good for large purchases that don't fit any other bonus categories.

I have a review on my blog here:
    http://hackmytrip.com/2012/05/overlapping-benefits-dilute-dont-erase-value-of-united-club-visa/

SuperKirby and mht_flyer like this.
  4. healinginfluence

Status Points:
    That is what I meant to type. Thank you.

SuperKirby likes this.
  5. healinginfluence

Status Points:
    Thank you so much. This is exactly what I was looking for. Your blog is great. I just subscribed.

SuperKirby likes this.
  6. Voodard

Voodard Active Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I are both UA MP Explorer card holders and like the club lounges because it's a nice environment for our babies (changing diapers in the clean bathrooms, a place to sit down and feed them, and make a phone call in peace, etc). My father hooked me on the clubs; he purchased a lifetime membership back in the early 80s when Continental was trying to boost membership. I remember as a young boy going to the bar asking for a coke with a maraschino cherry, yummy!
    Right now when we fly we purchase discounted one-time use passes from sellers eBay and use the ones that come free with our MP Explorer card (we get 4 per year between our two accounts). I'm not eligible to upgrade my MP Explorer to MP Club card until early next year, but will definitely do so.

7. pyndasky

pyndasky Silver Member

Status Points:
    ... I agree. It takes me about 7-10 club visits before I break-even on the daily pass rate. If you don't plan to spend a ton of time in Airports with United Clubs or affiliate clubs, the cost is probably not worth it. However, the service is great (particularly if you get stuck during a flight delay or cancellation).

8. chff

chff Silver Member

Status Points:
    No close in booking fee, free lounge access even when not flying

SuperKirby likes this.
  9. iterfacio12

iterfacio12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Quick note; if the mildly substantial annual on the Club card causes you pause, consider the Sky Guide Executive Privilege Club.You pay a $20.00 USD annual fee and then you get reimbursed for up to 12 airline lounge day passes per year. Just pay for the day pass with an Amex card like normal, then send in the receipts for the money back. The Points Guy did a mention of it in his "top ten ways to get lounge access" post.

SuperKirby and healinginfluence like this.
  10. alfred vachris

alfred vachris Member

Status Points:
    $200. Not $20

SuperKirby likes this.
  11. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I am a new United Club Visa holder (never owned PP or OnePass card), is there anyway I can convert my Visa to a MC? I would love to use this card (1.5x miles) at Sam's Club as I shop there weekly!

12. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, the UA co-branded cards are exclusively Visas.

SuperKirby likes this.
  13. javman08

javman08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you walk into a Chase bank they offer the UA club Card with the first year fee waived, just ask to talk to a service person, I got the email from The Points Guy walked in yesterday and got approved and card ordered in 10 minutes.
    Also they have a 50k bonus for the explorer card if you walk into the bank as well with I think a $2000 spend to get it