United Messes up my mileage balance

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by jimster, Sep 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jimster

jimster Silver Member

Status Points:
    United messed up my mileage balance. I was supposed to have 40K but the mileage balance showed 65K. I booked an award ticket for 65K. Now when I look at my statement, it shows I have a negative 25K. My mileage balance still shows a few hundred. I suspect the problem is that when i got my last 25K for a cc sign up bonus, somone or something double credited it. What should I do? I think UA should give me a one time credit since it was NOT my mistake.

2. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, but since you stated that you were aware that there was a mistake when you booked that award ticket,-- there was always a possibility that it would be discovered later & corrected. If you contact UA MPSC, I imagine they will research the situation (just as they would for any missing miles issue), & see that there was a 'double credit' so don't 'owe' you those miles. Of course, it's a YMMV situation, but not too optimistic, imho.

LETTERBOY and Flyer1976 like this.
  3. jimster

jimster Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, I wasnt aware of the mistake until after i booked the ticket. My mileage balance on my account showed 65K. I assumed the reason for that is I was credited for the new better CC offer of 50K that was available and not the 25 k I was originallly offered. It was only after i went to the statement section of my account did I notice it had a negative balance. Then I decided it was an error. I originally thought I just got credit for the better offer.

4. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did the original credit card bonus come as 50k or 25k x2?

5. jimster

jimster Silver Member

Status Points:
    The original offer was 25k but then I thought it was changed to 50k. So I just assumed that it had been bumped up since sometimes that happened. So I thought wow thats great-I must have got the better offer. So i booked the ticket. It was only later that I checked my statement and saw it had a negative balance. In the interim, I paid for a timeshare and got a visa. So, if they dont honor it, i will lose money.

6. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    My question relates to when the bonus was credited -- you can look at your MP history to view that. This is exactly what the MPSC will do if you choose to appeal to them on this.

7. jimster

jimster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your help. I called Mileage Plus and talked with Debbie. She says everything was credited properly and I do have a positive balance and I am good to go. I am not going to argue with that LOL.

8. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    great -- glad to hear that it all worked out!:cool:

9. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
    My girlfriend just got a letter from United saying that there was a "possible error" with the amount of miles on her account and that they would be corrected. Since from my calculation they're accurate who knows what they will do if anything.

Guess they're having some general issues right now.

IDGflygirl and edekba like this.
  10. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    My account is so messed up it's probably an auditor's dream to figure out what's what in it. In the last 30 days, I've had 8 flights... but there's about 30 assorted postings to my UA account. On Friday alone, there were 8 postings to my account of "0" miles. I have other mystery postings/credits including a "Date: Unknown , Transaction -7069 PQM" entry. I think my account is about 10k off on PQMs and probably double/triple that for award miles.