United lounge in Rome (FCO)

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by WaterSki, May 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. WaterSki
    Original Member

WaterSki Silver Member

Status Points:
    As there seems to be a lack of information and details online about the lounge used by UA in Rome, here come some details and lots of pictures.

UA uses a contract lounge in Rome. I don't recall the name of the lounge, and I don't recall if Star Gold is granted access, but I *believe* they are. F and C passengers are definitely granted access.

The lounge is located downstairs in the concourse area with the UA gates. I visited the lounge during a fairly long connection to the single UA flight -- 6:30 am to 11:30 AM. When I arrived I was the only person in the lounge. By the time the UA departure time rolled around, the lounge was quite full. I believe there was a CO flight at the same time.

The lounge provided a (slightly) less chaotic place to sit than the rest of the terminal. The food options were only adequate because I had eaten immediately before arrival on my connecting flight. The food was dismal even when compared to domestic RCC standards.

The "breakfast" spread consisted of croissants and a sweet snack mix (chocolate covered pretzels and shortbread cookies). Around 11:00 the croissants were replaced with small finger sandwiches.

The alcohol selection was equally limited -- red or white wine only. No beer and no liquor. It is possible that more booze would be put out later in the day. There was one empty fridge that was crying to be filled with beer.

The coffee on offer was pre-brewed drip coffee in a pot or espresso in a thermos (first time I've seen that).

The bathroom was surprisingly large and clean, although more than two toilets would have been better in the men's room. There was a single shower room attached to the bathroom although I did not see anyone use it.

As reported on FT, the internet is not free and is quite expensive. Fortunately the wifi from the Alitalia lounge next door can be purchased for 50 euro cents for 24 hours -- a no brainer.

Two PC workstations are provided offering free internet and free printing.

The lounge agent was surprisingly helpful considering she had no affiliation with UA. When I arrived with no onward boarding pass she proactively called the UA checkin counter to verify that I was entitled to lounge access as an F passenger. She even gave me a lounge invitation for easy reentry to the lounge.

All things considered the lounge was better than nothing, but it does not compare to the lounge offering at any Star Alliance hub city in Europe.

main seating area.JPG
    Main seating area

side seating area.JPG
    Side Seating Area

food station.JPG
    Food station

breakfast food.JPG
    "Breakfast" spread

wine.JPG
    Red or white wine is the extent of the alcohol selection

coffee.JPG
    Coffee. Espresso is in the silver thermos on the right.

soda.JPG
    Limited soft drink selection with very small glasses provided

computers.JPG
    PC Workstations with free internet and printing.

massage chairs.JPG
    Quiet room with massage chairs.

bathroom sinks.JPG
    Large bathroom sink area

bathroom stalls.JPG
    Private stalls with sinks in the men's room. No urinals.

shower room.JPG
    Shower room with sink

shower.JPG
    Shower.

faux windows.JPG
    These faux window replace actual daylight in the basement lounge.

Attached Files:

2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very nice report on a very dismal lounge. Thank You. FCO, unfortunately, is one of the worst airports in Italy. If you have the opportunity, visit Venezia and see what good management and beautiful lounges are all about (including a huge terrace overlooking Venezia/San Marco in the distance).

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, it is basically a dump. I didn't even waste the bits taking that many pictures of it when I was there. :eek:

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  4. WaterSki
    Original Member

WaterSki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey, anything to pass the time of my 4.5 hour layover in that place. I'll add that the UA ground service in FCO was quite different from the TG ground service in BKK before my connecting flight.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm...4.5 hours is just too short to leave the airport and do something useful. Bummer. We originated there (and had a 45 minute fight at the ticket counter about the SWUs not being applied correctly and them asking for $$$$) so we weren't actually stuck in there all that long. I'd probably sit upstairs for that long a layover just to get some sunlight. It isn't like you're missing out on much by leaving the lounge.

Also worth noting that the AZ lounge next door has much cheaper paid wifi so if you're into that sort of thing you may as well pay the lower rate.

6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    4.5 hour layover at FCO. Not fun at all. You don't have enough time to really leave the airport- but I would suggest walking over to the Hilton and having something to eat or using the health club (you can get access for a fee- don't recall what it is however quite reasonable ~20 EUR).

7. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Post, pics and report spot on. In fact it actually looks a little nicer than I remember it, with a little more food out! I was through there about a year ago.