United - large checked bag question

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Gaucho, May 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking up the baggage rules & regulations, I just want to make sure Im reading the charts correctly.

For a 1K member that is flying in Business Class on an international flight, am I correct to assume that the maximum allowed weight is 70lbs...?

Now for maximum size, there seems to be one standard rule for all but military staff, which seems to limit the maximum linear measurement to 62 inches.

So... Im looking to figure out what would happen if a 1K would show up with a box that is 108 linear inches and 62 pounds heavy. By the book, oversized charges would apply, or...? If this is the case, doesn someone know what the charge for being oversized (but not overweight) would be...?

Thanks,
    Alex / Gaucho100K

2. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes you will be charged. There was a time when it was a craps shoot, but not anymore. I have changed luggage as my favorite bags are 66 inches (which is not actually linear, but length, width and height combined). As one who flies frequently between the USA and Central America, it means that I now live without things that were once common comforts. The overweight/oversize charges are VERY steep.

Gaucho likes this.
  3. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh... And I can "usually" get away with 70.5 pounds, but never 71. I often give things away at the airport to avoid paying the $400 per overweight bag.

Gaucho and IDGflygirl like this.
  4. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gaucho likes this.
  5. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Guys... this is not good news for the "little" box I need to have brought down....

:(

6. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know how you feel. I carried those 66 inch bags for years without incident. Then one very early morning (4:30 AM) at DFW, I got this hard@ss ticket agent who was obviously not a morning person, and who had probably fought with his wife before leaving for work. I had two of these bags, and he made me pay $400 to bring them home. Nevermind that I had the same bags on the outbound portion of my trip.

I was upset. I was in full-sarcasm mode. I was not pleasant. I was guilty of embarrassing behavior that is not typical of my usually calm, accepting demeanor. I mean it. The "catching more flies with honey than vinegar" was not going through my mind that morning, and I was a jerk. Not that I was "wrong," as I had flown hundreds of times with those very same bags and never been charged, but I also wasn't "right," as they were absolutely 4 inches over and my behavior was unbecoming a grown man.

The only good news is that the UA employee was successful at outdoing my rudeness. He was over-the-top insulting. In a personal confrontation such as this, I would have deserved it, but since I was the customer and he was the representative of the company, he was obligated to remain reasonably professional. He didn't even try.

When I got home from that trip, I called United to get it straight as to what I should expect in the future and to complain about the treatment I received. In that call, I admitted being a jerk. When I explained who said what, my $400 was refunded. Not because the bags weren't too big, but because I had been treated so unprofessionally.

I now have bags that are about 4 inches under the 62" rule. They were the best quality I could find within the limit, and the extra 4 inches were not worth the trade-off in quality which would have meant certain destruction of anything larger that I found. Still, however, they are measured by the agents at every departure point. It often appears that the measuring agents are disappointed that they can't bust me when they find that the bags are legal.

Clearly the rules have tightened up significantly from the "good old days." Have they done something to incentivize the agents to insure compliance on every checked bag?

Gaucho, iolaire and IDGflygirl like this.
  7. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do understand that UA has to make rules, and it's only fair to enforce them easily, but I do wonder if a little latitude could sometimes be given. One bag marginally over the limit, when the customer could check three, seems harmless. But I guess that requires interpretation and is open to abuse, so I suppose we get what we deserve.

Gaucho likes this.
  8. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK.... so if Im reading the details here correctly, if a box is under 115 inches in linear dimentions, and under 70 pounds, the worse case scenario would be a $200 fee....? Is this correct..??

9. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    To clarify.... the box is 73 linear inches and 60 pounds.
    What is the worse case scenario that you guys think that a 1K would face to bring this down..??
    The exact dimentions of the box are 40 x 27 x 6 inches.

Thanks

10. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm about to take golf clubs on a domestic flight tonight...

Never done this before, are they going to charge me?

Gold Currently

Gaucho likes this.
  11. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    The answer was no

;)

Gaucho likes this.
  12. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kind of hard to charge you for something they know they are going to destroy. ;)

Gaucho likes this.
  13. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    If all international destinations are charged equally, IME, you will be charged $200. That's what it would cost me between North America and Central America.

Gaucho likes this.
  14. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even as a 1K...?

15. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep.

(Don't shoot the messenger. I'm on your side) ;)