United just increased spend requirement for 1K to US$15,000 - will AC increase SE spend for 2020?

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by The Lev, Oct 2, 2018.

1. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA has just increased the minimum required spend from $12,000 to $15,000 in order to earn Premier 1K status. That puts them within shooting range of AC's $20,000 for SE.

In order to retain their perceived status as North America's most expensive airline, I wonder how long it will take for the SE minimum spend requirement to jump to $25,000.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united-raises-pqd-requirements-premier-1k/

mevlannen and YULtide like this.
  2. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, I hope not! I'm having enough trouble making the $20K at my mileage level. An increase would probably cause me to cut back on travel and settle for E75K.

mevlannen and londoncalling like this.
  3. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fact is that airfares are rising and AC is pushing their premium products hard.So upgrades may require a higher spend in order to be in the serious UG category

mevlannen likes this.
  4. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Gold Member

Status Points:
    This morning: kilo$19.4, 109 segments, kiloAQM 37,500.

Going up to kilo$25 would be a stretch for me, too. E75 sounds more and more like a sustainable goal rather than a type of vehicle fuel.

YULtide likes this.
  5. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm typically in the low $20K's, so $25K on a consistent level (which means over $30K out of pocket) would be a definite stretch. Within 2 years I should be at 2MM, so if a qualifying dollar increase happened, I'd probably resign myself to being a lifetime 75K and explore other options for some of my flying.

mevlannen and YULtide like this.
  6. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    99,555 AQM, 40 AQS, 17,351 AQD for me as of this morning. I don't expect to hit $20K until mid-December. Only 3.5 trips planned for the rest of the year (and half a trip complete but not yet posted to my account).

I fund a lot of my travel, so finding another $5K would be a stretch. Fortunately, there's no talk of it yet from AC. Let's see what's announced in the next couple of months.

mevlannen and londoncalling like this.
  7. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ho hum, being a lifetime SE is tough sometimes. LOL

mevlannen likes this.
  8. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Busy week. At 114 segs now, no movement on the other two metrics. ["Ooh, it's a game, let's see if the Mevs will make it to 120 segs before requalification?"]

At the moment, 3 more segs booked, and 3 reasonably foreseen but not yet booked. Arrgh.

londoncalling and YULtide like this.
  9. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, AQD now posted at kilo$ 20.5, and AQS posted at 109/114. No sign of change at their end, though. I wonder whether the old rule still holds, that a sweep is run at end of October and another one in January?

Anyway, Londoncalling may have the right of it -- simply get to 3MM and then sit back and relax. I suppose that by comparison I'm still a veritable kettle (or whatever else term they use these days over on TOBB).

YULtide and londoncalling like this.
  10. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, this morning's sweep swept me swifferishly into SE-land. Selected the 100% bonus points and the upgrade to 50K of my Darling Spouse (who seldom travels off our foggy little island, but when she does, she greatly appreciates the chance to recaffeinate in the YVR DOM MLL.

I didn't select e-upgrades because I hardly ever apply for an upgrade. Not that most of my jaunty little commutes are much over an hour and a half per segment, anyway.

However, the cause of great happiness is that now there is an un-'enhanced' crack at J-cabin reward tickets, without having to pay the double-points charge for them. Might even manage to snag a transcon pod once or twice this winter. (And might as well book such reward travel before the reward chart is further 'enhanced', as it surely shall presently be).

Now I am curious to place bets as to when 2019 programme details shall be announced. 15 November, perhaps?

londoncalling and YULtide like this.